Embryo Transfer - Frequently asked Questions and Answers

Help Support Steer Planet:

hamburgman

BTDT said:
ETschool.com said:
TYD said:
Which synch protocol seems to have the best conception rates? Do you seem to see stronger heats on one over another ? Does one drug seem to work better than another
The CIDR protocol is the most reliable method for synchronisation e. g. insert CIDR plus GnRh ( cystorelin ) on Day 0,remove CIDR plus PG ( cystorelin ) on Day 7. CIDRs can be used successfully used twice but they should be cleaned and placed in the refrigerator after use.We have not observed any differences in pregnancy rates,or stronger heats in any of the many methods of estrous synchronisation.

According to your protocol you inject them twice with CnRh (cystorelin).  I do not think that is correct.
I have always used  GnRh (cystorelin)  when I place the CIDR, and then use PG (Estrumate) when I pull the CIDR.  If I am sync'ing heifers, I do not use GnRh when I insert the CIDR. 

So is your post incorrect or have I done it wrong for all these years??

I would say you have been doing it wrong for those years.  You give the GnRH to release an egg which causes a CL, the CIDR is put in to save any CLs that are on ovaries.  You pull the CIDR stopping exogenous progesterone to so the cow can regress her CL and cause a maturation of a follicular wave.  The CL is regressed with the Prostaglandin.  You really don't need the 2nd shot if a cow comes into heat and you breed at 12 hrs or so.  For those that don't come into heat you give the shot so you release an egg, I also give the shot if we are breeding the cows early for the same reason.

Cowboy

Hamburgarman -- I think possibly you may have misread the last question. He has been doing it RIGHT for the last what ever years by inserting Cidr, and giving Gnrh. 7-8 days later, when you pull Cidr, the female would then get your choice of Prostoglandin (Lut or Estrumate - I prefer Estrumate).

Dr Elsden simply made a typo when he said to use PG and typed (cystorelin) in stead of Estrumate.

This is a very simple program, we all need to not make it any harder than need be. Prostoglandin regreses any presently functional CL (Usually only 1 per cycle) and set in motion the formation of a new follicle which will contain the oocyte (egg) , this will ovulate naturally after heat or be released when another Gnrh shot is given. I personally think after all these years we are all guilty of TOO MUCH manipulation. Mother nature has things pretty well figured out folks, and simply put -- the more WE do the worse it gets. Keep it as simple as possible with a minimum of trips thru the chute and resulting stress and we are all better off - especially the cows!

Smile -- spring is almost here -- well it's supposed to be. It's starting to snow as I speak here in SW Nebraska. Wow

Terry

hamburgman

Cowboy said:
Hamburgarman -- I think possibly you may have misread the last question. He has been doing it RIGHT for the last what ever years by inserting Cidr, and giving Gnrh. 7-8 days later, when you pull Cidr, the female would then get your choice of Prostoglandin (Lut or Estrumate - I prefer Estrumate).

Dr Elsden simply made a typo when he said to use PG and typed (cystorelin) in stead of Estrumate.

This is a very simple program, we all need to not make it any harder than need be. Prostoglandin regreses any presently functional CL (Usually only 1 per cycle) and set in motion the formation of a new follicle which will contain the oocyte (egg) , this will ovulate naturally after heat or be released when another Gnrh shot is given. I personally think after all these years we are all guilty of TOO MUCH manipulation. Mother nature has things pretty well figured out folks, and simply put -- the more WE do the worse it gets. Keep it as simple as possible with a minimum of trips thru the chute and resulting stress and we are all better off - especially the cows!

Smile -- spring is almost here -- well it's supposed to be. It's starting to snow as I speak here in SW Nebraska. Wow

Terry

Thanks Terry, ya I did misread that.  It snowed big time back home.  The yards were a mess before this snow I hate to see how bad they are now.  I have used this program for pry 6 years and I have cows in the herd who have never had a bull service calf and I only get one chance to AI.  I really like this program.

Peter Elsden

Thank you Terry for recognising the'' typo'' error in my reply to a question. The day before I wrote that note I had  undergone surgery and it probably affected my line of thought. By the way I agree that drugs should be limited as much as possible. In fact as I once reported when we were first experimenting with prostaglandin ( PG ) if used too frequently over a short period of time it no longer has the desired affect e. g. three  PG treatments within 21 days often results in an incomplete heat after the last injection. The donor shows secondary signs of heat but does not stand and in 7 days lutein cysts are found on the ovaries instead of the desired corpora lutea ( CLs ). In that same line of thought I worked hard to develop a non-surgical method of collecting embryos,it took 3 years starting in Australia,then to Japan and finally I was invited to join the team at CSU in Fort Collins where I finally devised a practical non-surgical method of collecting embryos,which was published in 1976. It truly concerned me that we were committing healthy animals to surgery with its allied pain and probable future infertility or even sterility.

Peter Elsden

I prefer to allow two full estrous cycles before using a recipient or a donor. For maximum results the uterus appears to need that period of progesterone exposure. If the heat periods are unknown then wait 60 days after calving.

Latest posts