Embryo Transfer Partnership

Help Support Steer Planet:

Tallcool1

I have tried to search for this topic, but am not able to find anything that is a close match to what we are doing.

We have 20 head of open 2nd calf heifers.  My dad bought them about 6 weeks ago.  They were not carrying much condition, and he bought them to........well, he bought them just because that is what he does.  I really don't know why he bought them other than he just likes to have some cows around!  He has got them looking pretty good, and figured he would get them bred this spring and sell them later as bred cows to calve in the Spring of 2015.

In the meantime, we have been approached by a friend that has a tank full of embryos but no recip cows.  He told us that he would pay the expense of putting the embryos in, has lots of pasture for the summer, and will calve them out next spring.  Basically, we provide the recip cows and we will share the expenses to get them to weaning. 

This is a friend that we have known for 20-30 years, and is very open in terms of the type of agreement we come up with.  The only thing that he has asked is that we have "some type of a plan", on paper.  He doesn't so much care what the plan is, only that there is a plan.  What he doesn't want is to produce a steer that he can sell for $15,000 on his sale and us to say that we want to keep that one to show.  I understand his point completely. 

Does anyone have experience with this?  What we want is a chance at the calves, but not to the degree that it will cost him a bunch of money.  He and his son just had their first sale last fall, and are actually doing well this spring with the calves they sold.  They are trying to get their operation going which is why (I believe) they are so open to this.

For what it is worth, the embryos are out of a show heifer his daughter pulled about 6 years ago that was Supreme Champion 6 or 8 times.  All embryos are sired by Original Heatwave.

crystalcreek

First and foremost you need to take a good hard look at those cattle destined to be recips and see if they are good candidates for that.  It is possible that those Heatwave progeny may be a little much for 2nd calf heifers to handle.  Who bears responsibility in the event of a hard pull where the calf, the cow, or potentially both is lost?  Make sure they can handle what you are about to put into them.  I have dealt with three different cooperator herds and none of them are using recips less that 5-6 yrs old, just for what it's worth.

Tallcool1

crystalcreek said:
First and foremost you need to take a good hard look at those cattle destined to be recips and see if they are good candidates for that.  It is possible that those Heatwave progeny may be a little much for 2nd calf heifers to handle.  Who bears responsibility in the event of a hard pull where the calf, the cow, or potentially both is lost?  Make sure they can handle what you are about to put into them.  I have dealt with three different cooperator herds and none of them are using recips less that 5-6 yrs old, just for what it's worth.

Good advice!

This is exactly why I thought it would be a good idea to ask before we just jump in.

Thank You.