Embryo Transfer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dvrom

Was wondering what the average cost for an embryo transfer and a flush is running at.  Did a couple cows 15 years ago and looking at maybe doing it again. Thanks.

Cowboy

Let us know where you are located and I can give you some averages for that area, or you may feel welcome to come to SW Nebraska here, this is all I do and would have it no other way (Till I get too old any way -- and it;s coming fast!!)

PM me if you prefer!

Terry

johnmetzger

My flushes cost me between $1000.00 & $1200.00 - semen. The $'s vary depending on the # of eggs being frozen. I give all the shots myself to save on some of the cost.

SSIMMENTALS

Our flushes cost: Flush: $250
                           Freeze: $50/embryo
                           Transfer: $50/embryo
                           plus semen with us doing shots, heat detection, breeding.Embryologist arrives flush day.

justintime

My flush costs average around $1000 and as has been said before, it varies with the number of embryos produced.
Here are how my costs are arrived at:

Drugs and deep breeding charges ( if required)  $140
Flush costs                                                            $250
Freezing costs      1-4 embryos            $85/ embryo
                              5 and over              $30/ embryo.

All embryos are washed and are certified to be exportable to most countries in the world.  I also store all my embryos at the ET facility, as they retain their export status when stored there. Once they leave the ET center and are stored any place else they lose their export status. I do about 75 % of the flushes at the ET facility, and 25% here on the farm. The only thing I save by flushing here at the farm is the breeding charge of $10 and any yardage costs for the donor. I prefer flushing at the ET facility as they have access to ultrasound as well as the ability to check the semen prior to insemnination. I can also have them set up recips in the event that there are unfreezable embryos produced. If they are not used, I am not charged anything for them. If they hold the embryos at 70 days, I have to purchase them, however, I do not have to pay for them until their calves are weaned in the fall. This has worked well for us, and some of our very best Et calves have come from unfreezable embryos, that would have been discarded if we did not have recips ready at flush time. One heifer produced from a very poor grade embryo, was Reserve National Champion female for us a few years ago, and sold for $8000.  Our top selling heifer calf in our 2010 female sale at $4800 was the result of an unfreezable embryo. The top selling bull in our 2011 bull sale, at $6900, was also the result of an unfreezable embryo.

Costs and services vary between ET centers, but I think it is important to also think of the services offered ( both before and after the flush) rather than just taking the one with the lowest cost. This is especially important if you are considering ever exporting any embryos.

shorthorngirl2010

Cowboy said:
Let us know where you are located and I can give you some averages for that area, or you may feel welcome to come to SW Nebraska here, this is all I do and would have it no other way (Till I get too old any way -- and it;s coming fast!!)

PM me if you prefer!

Terry

If you're close enough, I strongly suggest using Terry.  He's done my implants past two years and is the gentleman doing my flushes this year.  Great guy, great with the cows, knows, understands & loves what he does (until he has to deal with me.. then maybe he doesn't love it so much.. hehe).

Just my $0.02
-Sam

BCCC

Cowboy(Terry Morris) is one of the best, he really knows what he is doing, and he will defiantly take care of your cow. I travel 4 hours one way, and would still go to him even if he was 8 hours away.

ROAD WARRIOR

BCCC said:
Cowboy(Terry Morris) is one of the best, he really knows what he is doing, and he will defiantly take care of your cow. I travel 4 hours one way, and would still go to him even if he was 8 hours away.

I'm alot closer to 12 hours than I am 4, I got to know that trip pretty well over the last year. RW