Emenint Domain

Help Support Steer Planet:

renegade

Im doing my ffa speech on this and i have heard of lots of stories about homes in town but i need more ag based stories. Any info or intersting facts would be great. I think knabe will have some good input ;D

red

We had a thread on this a while back. Some very interesting ideas & opinions.
http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php/topic,999.0.html

Red

garybob

Google also, "Ozarks Scenic Railway".

We stopped that one, dead in its tracks. Tried to take land from folks for a Branson Tourist Atraction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!No public use AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Show Heifer

Please email me about a an issue that came up in my area.....a private "college/cult" tried to take a family farm that had been designated a century farm....the family got Farm Bureau involved and they finally backed down.....let me know if you want the details.
Also a family farm being taken for school and the "extra" land being given to developers in Des Moines.

JbarL

i would like to see a memorial for al the farms that were taken away from the farmers/producers  in the 70's and early 80's.......seems the present administration sees some relief in helping folks who got caught up in the adjustable rate ( 105%  financing?????..... whats up with that) blitz of 2 years ago, ....like to see whats up with those farms now,  that were ole family farms, bought and paid for 2 or 3 times through many generations dating back to Civil War era........ the loan attraction "scam" involved with that mess seems to have played right in the hands of a few folks......maybe get ready to produce some ethanol on some of those 600-1000 acre farms that were "stolen" back then.  Alot more families and proceding generations  were hurt/killed/ruined in that tragedy than all the plane crashes and burning buildings on 9/11. ..i dint mean to sound disrespectfully of anyone who suffered a loss in that part of 9/11 or any other losses families have endured with the resulting consequences of our "eminent domain" of the middle east, but the rules for"taking land" for any reason by our "government", be it local, county,state, national, or international, is not for discussion....it is only for history,.... if they want it they will get it.....always way more loseres than winners. would like to see some follow up on those farms that were taken back then and see how/what they are doing now..shopping malls? housing developments? government owned faculties? top notch agriculture faculties?  beef/hog producing faculties?....wish we had the communication speed and muliti sided 24 hour opinion information tools we have now......my granddad, for as much as you can call "school" had 40 minutes for history.....30 years later my dad had 40 minutes for history.....30 yearsafter that i had 40 minutes for history.....now30 years later ..my daughter now has 40 minutes for history....whos editing the history that is taught, and who decided whats not "taught".......shoot when i was in school they taught us that the Indians deserved everthing they got and were "heathens" and  needed killing' and Eminent Domain of there property and livelyhood was in "our" best interest  :mad:.........sorry for the soap box answer, but "takin' land" by any means from any "governement" level leaves a real sour taste in this ole boys mouth....i'd like to here more from some of the folks who were located closer to "finacially failed" farm areas of the 70's and see what became of them.....maybe a new topic? thanks  jbarl

red

Oh, wow- good topic Jbarl!
I worked at a co-op during that time & saw many good farmers fail. Most of the ground then was snapped up by the Mormon Church, insurance companies & developments. I think a lot of that ground now has houses/developments built on them.
Here, my hubby's family almost lost everything but tightened their belts & sacrificed greatly. They pulled themselves out of it but it took a lot of years. Others that lost their farms are working for other farmers, Honda or farming again. It was a leason that I hope has not been lost on us.

Red

itk

The town that I grew up in got moved in the 1960's. It was originally about 3 miles east of where it is now located. The corp of engineers bought up all the land to build a reservoir. Now only 50 years later the reservoir is starting to fill back in with silt past the point where the original town was located. Here is some more info on my town: http://www.usd384.org/oldran/time.html