Emergency vet call

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

I have to say I'm pleased - I just opened the bill for the emergency vet call that we had when our heifer had the allergic reaction. The entire bill including medicines came to $85.00. I hate to say this but i was expecting a lot more.
I guess I'm very fortunate to have a good vet, who works w/ large animal & makes late night calls.
What are you seeing in your area? How does this compare to what for what you've paid?

Red (clapping)

knabe

Hi Red,

similar in my high$ CA location.  last night my vet came by my neighbors and delivered a breached goat.  similar cost.  does phone help too.  he's a local old money type who is awesome who babysits all us pretend ranchers as well as services the local real ranchers.  even responds before church on sundays within minutes.  does awesome surgery for dehorning calves/showsteers who have previously had a poor job done.  has great repoire and explains everything.

Show Heifer

Two years ago called a vet on Sunday to look at a sick yrling heifer....he showed up, looked at the heifer and said (and I quote) "huh, looks like shes gonna die." She was down and he tried to tube her, he didn't get it done, gave her a shot (Nuflor maybe) and charged me $187. OUCH! :eek:
Today, I had a cow that I thought was having difficult labor....I reached in and felt what I thought was a hip, but no tail or feet. I called my vet (another one) and was told to reach in again and see if I could feel the tail to see if it was backwards. And to call back later.  :(  I hung up and called my uncle that has lots of experience pulling calves....he came and after pushing back the SHOULDER, the feet came up, head went down and out slid a 110 pound baby! Everyone is alive and happy!

So, if you do have a good vet that will work reasonably or heck, work at all BE VERY THANKFUL!!!!! :)

But sometimes situations like that lead you to meet some very wonderful people!!! (THANKS DL, for all your help!!) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping)

garybob

Thank goodness I minored in ANSC. Can't get any food-animal assistance in this area.

Hope everyone's Spring is starting on time, with adequate moisture. We're dry.

hairy

I had a heifer that had to have a c-section.  I took her to the vet clinic, the bill was $430.00.  Did get a live calf but not real profitable!