End of a Legacy-MSU Hereford Dispersal

Help Support Steer Planet:

Woodland Farms Show Cattl

DL said:
Bi-Lane Livestock said:
Budget cuts are real….it is evident in this state and University, for me to comment about the music therapy program would be fruitless as I know nothing about this program or why it was cut.  What I do know is that the PBB did not have to go like it did; you apparently stand behind a newer regime and defend a department head and her advisor (John Shelle, who also oversees the horse program) on poor and vindictive decisions that were made. The decision and action of liquidating the Hereford cow herd is done and if you don’t think that myself and others with way more influence than me pleaded with these two not to do this before it happened then you are wrong.  What is done is done and the “leaders” that did it need to be held accountable for their poor choices and actions.  This is currently being done and will continue to happen through good faculty & student attrition and will continue with decreased monomial support of the department by true good livestock alumni who see this situation for what it is.  Do you think that the department head that built the new pavilion (Maynard Hogberg, now chair at ISU) would have made the same decisions?  Absolutely not, he and others who respected this program would have cut other units and figured a way out to save the PBB.  If you call yourself a good livestock person then maybe you need to dig into why this happened and talk to people in the know instead of believing the garbage that is coming out of Anthony hall for excuses why this “Had to be Done” and defending John Shelle and Janice Swansons’ extremely poor decisions.  I am in the know and that is why I am vehemently telling you and this board that this did not have to happen and that these two are responsible.

If you are in the know why not sit down with Drs Swanson and Shelle and discuss your concerns instead of flaming on a message board. I am not defending anyone or any thing - I am providing the other side of the story. The fact that you do not understand the comment about the music therapy program is very telling - every single unit, department, person and student affected by any cut is feeling/behaving/talking just like you - everyone whose department was effected feels "singled out" by the "new regime", feels that it didn't have to be that way - you are pi**ed - I get that - but it happened, change happens - you can fail to adapt and become irrelevant or you can try to do something constructive

Woodlawn - it is herd not heard and it is very unlikely that the herd was "self sustaining" - whatever that means. In most operations decreasing the herd size by on half would result in decreased feed (and therefore less cost) by one half - that is huge financially, especially in the year of drought  - and if you are selling registered cattle wouldn't you want to sell your best? Would you go to a sale where they kept the best and sold the worst?

Deal with it guys - it happened - they are looking for creative and constructive ways to reconfigure the program - if you are so concerned why don't you use your energy to help in that effort

its also Woodland not woodlawn. thanks. We all have our own veiws but you sound like a board member yourself. Self Sustaining=pays for its self, covers costs however you would like to define it. not every program encured a budget cut. take a drive through campus, programs are getting new equipment and they are currently putting up anther new building. My point aboout selling the commercials was that it would also cut feed costs and keep you best cows. I dont know about yoou but my best cows also make more money than my worst and therefore can cover more bills.

DL

Sorry Woodland - my bad - I am not a board member in fact I have very little to do with MSU any more because I do not like the direction the entire university has taken - the business model started by Peter McPherson vs the education model has done little to foster education, critical thinking, collaborative research, the mission or the U's reputation - I don't like it, I don't support it - we fought the closing the food animal veterinary clinic fight, we fought the eliminating 4H fight, we fought the closing PBB fight and while there is lip service to keep them you can see the writing on the wall - they will die a slow death -

SEA why don't you ask Dr Swanson those questions? None of us can answer them