EPD question..

Help Support Steer Planet:

rudd_girl

I am doing a research paper for my class and need to know about how many people use EPDs and why others don't. I cant find this on the internet anywhere !

herefordfootball

I use epds to kinda estimate what the bw of the calf will be, how easy it will calve, carcass values, and etc. I dont put a lot of emphasis on epds though because they arent always the best way to decide what youll breed your cows to. Some people dont use them because, well, honestly there is nothing better than a proven bull. Hope this helped!!!

ROAD WARRIOR

I seldom if ever use EPD's to make a breeding decision, unless it is a very old proven bull with extremely high accurassies in several non owner herds. There are way too many people manipulating the data and contemporary groups on calves to be of much significant value. The original premise was good but it has simply became a marketing tool that has in my honest opinion been abused to the point of irrelevance. Computers only spit out the garbage they are fed. RW

simtal

EPDs are supposed to be the most accurate predictor.  Any geneticists will tell you that they are.  They are the best that is available to the industry.  I would search "National Beef Cattle Evaluation and Consortium".  They would be of some help. 

The biggest factor that influences wether you use EPDs or not, is your market.  What do you get paid on? 

Beach Limousin

We do use EPD's to an extent. BW, Growth and Carcass numbers are all good key indicators; however, we only consider them in context with there actual performance. We cannot use a bull that does not have performance data, because epd's alone does not insure the traits we are seeking were passed on. In our minds, the more data that we can base our decision off of, the more consistent we can be at hitting our target. We also have began using the Igenity Profile as another valued tool.

Thanks,
Cody
Beach Limousin

JbarL

rudd_girl said:
I am doing a research paper for my class and need to know about how many people use EPDs and why others don't. I cant find this on the internet anywhere !
i think the abs/genex/select sires/ and all other salesmen use epds to sell than product alot more than producers benifit.  wether is bw  ww yw or any other catagory......they will have just the right thing for you to buy.....jbarl

loveRedcows

ROAD WARRIOR said:
There are way too many people manipulating the data and contemporary groups on calves to be of much significant value. The original premise was good but it has simply became a marketing tool that has in my honest opinion been abused to the point of irrelevance. Computers only spit out the garbage they are fed. RW

I agree.  I remember when EPDs first came out & how a major breeder's EPDs so dramatically changed after a member of his family spent quite a bit of time at Colorado State (pure supposition of course, but interesting).

We mostly linebreed so we already pretty much know the average BWs our cows & bulls will produce.  When we do decide to bring in outside blood via AI we do as much research as possible on actual performance data -- but that can be manipulated also.

Latest posts