EPDs

Help Support Steer Planet:

vc

Okay I was looking at a bull catalog, you have 6 full sibs all approximately the same age about 20 months, my question is how can the EPDs very so much from one to the other? The biggest gap is  Birth weight of calf 96 Ced -4 Bw+4.1 ww+80 YW +125 Radg +.20 DMI +1.02 SC +1.93 Doc +20 Cem +3 Milk +21
                                                                  68        +17    -3.6      +57      +94            +.16      .56          +2.03      +21        +14      +32

All the others are in the middle somewhere, they must gauge it off of the bulls numbers, does the recip play a big part in the weaning weight?

Here is a link to the page i was looking at http://www.angusjournal.com/salebooks/ezangus090719api/#page/32

GoWyo

Performance and yearling scan date and genomic i50K test results had a lot of variability.  The Isabel Y69 sons seem to be all over the place for EPDs -- even full sibs.

vc

Thanks, I was just surprised at the huge differences, you would suspect that you would also have huge swings when using the bulls (her sons) as well.

GoWyo

Check out the EPD difference between Baldridge Colonel and Baldridge Challenger.  Full bros, but 2 way different bulls.

Medium Rare

That's an interesting set of numbers and adjustments.

I have two flush mates that obviously lean to opposite sides of their pedigrees. The differences in phenotype would have been obvious to anyone who knew the lines even when the calves were still wet. With ET calves not allowed into contemporary groups I ran genomics on them to see if it'd move the numbers as the eye indicated they should. To my surprise the system separated their numbers exactly like their phenotypes lead you to believe they should be, but it's several months down the line and now one of the bulls has been pulled right back to where other is even though neither bull has a single calf on the ground yet. If I had more cows I'd run them side by side for years and let it finish playing out.

knabe

Something/everything is segregating.

Just means it will prob take longer to get something predictable.

mark tenenbaum

Byland Big Bud was anything but a heifer bull-Neither one of them had any thickness-Backenhus made Pattern look good because of the great females they had-they were real breeders of cattle-hate to see them go-but the cattle just dont pay O0