Epinal

Help Support Steer Planet:

GM

Hello, I have some questions about Epinal.  The site search function doesn’t work very well on mobile, I do recall some discussions on this bull in the past but can’t easily access.

When you see “Epinal” in a shorthorn pedigree is it PTR Epinal 83E?  I saw the attached pic on Facebook.  Wondering if they’re the same animal.

What was Epinal (the one that tends to show up in Shorthorn pedigrees) known for?  I’m curious about maternal characteristics, bw, frame compared to other Maine bulls or Cunia for example.  Was Epinal popular, or maybe  overlooked for some reason in that era? 

Thanks

Attachments

• 35C1CFA2-EF85-4633-918A-13B07ADD796B.jpeg
    35C1CFA2-EF85-4633-918A-13B07ADD796B.jpeg
    317.3 KB · Views: 117

knabe

Known for big bw, big ribeye, cow maker, big hip, can be tubey.

Epinal 240c, a son not from that flush, was used a lot in Texas by Jerry Gibson for years.

81e mountains of semen out there.

Medium Rare

I believe this is the picture you're looking for when you see Epinal in a pedigree.

Attachments

• 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 107

GM

Medium Rare said:
I believe this is the picture you're looking for when you see Epinal in a pedigree.
Thanks, I think I’ve seen that pic before.  He looks big.  Wonder why he didn’t catch on during the early days of Shorthorn appendix registry like Cunia did. 

oakview

Cunia was more widely used due to his style and eye appeal, somewhat due to his perceived relative ease of calving compared to some of the other bulls of the era such as Crack.  I read somewhere that Doc Hunsley said that Cunia was one of the 2 most impressive bulls he had seen.  I had 3 Cunia daughters at one time and liked them all.  I wouldn't hesitate to use the Cunia semen in my tank tomorrow.  I've got some Epinal, too, but don't know what I'd use it on.

doc-sun

oakview said:
Cunia was more widely used due to his style and eye appeal, somewhat due to his perceived relative ease of calving compared to some of the other bulls of the era such as Crack.  I read somewhere that Doc Hunsley said that Cunia was one of the 2 most impressive bulls he had seen.  I had 3 Cunia daughters at one time and liked them all.  I wouldn't hesitate to use the Cunia semen in my tank tomorrow.  I've got some Epinal, too, but don't know what I'd use it on.
I SAW CUNIA TOO. I WOULD HAVE TO PUT HIM THIRD TO THE 2 BULLS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE ATTACHMENT.

Attachments

• MEYER 2022.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 93

knabe

cunia broke behind his chine, is a monkey mouth and spastic pareisis carrier and has absolutely no marbling

knabe

GM said:
When you see “Epinal” in a shorthorn pedigree is it PTR Epinal 83E? 

epinal is the sire of 83E.  this was from a flush from cette-la, and i think after that, she didn't flush again or something for some reason.

the 83e calf i think the story is they bid him up to be over $100,000 for splash.

other calves from the same flush have more white on them.

81e was used a lot and there should be a lot of cheap semen on him available.

the others from the flush, not so much.

i used 84e to get some embryo's using ivf out of a direct dabla cow. dabla was an import from the era of epinal, born 1 year earlier.

oakview

Just basing my observations on what was happening nearly 50 years ago.  No one knew anything about genetic deformities, or at least they weren't talking.  Extremely limited carcass data regarding marbling on Cunia sired calves.  Shorthorn breeders, and everyone else around here, used him because he looked good.  I can't think of another Maine bull from that time period that would have compared, at least to the people I knew.  Times change and so does our knowledge. 

mark tenenbaum

doc-sun said:
oakview said:
I SAW CUNIA TOO. I WOULD HAVE TO PUT HIM THIRD TO THE 2 BULLS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE ATTACHMENT.  -  That last bull to the right above those two aint no slouch-neither is the one to his -and neither are the first bunch  O0 O0