Estrumate Safety

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bawndoh

With the dangers to women from Estrumate, how does everyone do it???  I mean, when you are sync'ing cattle, do you just so happen to have a man around to help?  Or do you (women)throw on 3 sets of gloves and pray for the best?

DL

Bawndoh said:
With the dangers to women from Estrumate, how does everyone do it???  I mean, when you are sync'ing cattle, do you just so happen to have a man around to help?  Or do you (women)throw on 3 sets of gloves and pray for the best?

When I am synching cows I would prefer not to have a man around as they just get in the way!

Almost every drug we use in cattle can have a bad effect for some people - so a little common sense and caution plus an awareness of safety go along way.

IMHO -
good to excellent restrain (of cattle, not person -although some people could benefit from restraint  ;))
not carrying filled syringes in pockets, between teeth, under chin, in the carharts etc
wear gloves (nitrle or latex not down or wool)
not mucking with needles and syringes (ie capping un capping, storing needles in bottles etc)

off the cuff these are a couple of the drugs that one should be extra careful of (both men and women)
1. lutalyse and estrumate (prostaglandin F 2 alpha agonists - can cause abortion in women and asthma like reaction is susceptible humans of all genders
2. Micotil - great antibiotic - can cause fatal cardiac complications in humans, horses and pigs (of all genders)
3. Rompun (aka xylazine) alpha adrenergic agonist (means it mimics the actions of certain nerves) can cause a profound drop in blood pressure and death
4. Penicillin if you are allergic
5. RB51 - the Brucellosis vaccine - it is a live virus and can cause debilitating undulating fever in humans

prudence - is not only the name of some woman somewhere -

fluffer

I agree with DL-

When I was pregnant I didn't handle any drugs unless absoluetly necessary- And even then I wore rubber gloves and washed up asap.  Now I wear rubber loves when handeling Cidrs or lute.

Fluffer

red

may not get a reply  ;) But if a woman has nothing in there, is she safe?  :))) What about one on estrogen?

Red

CAB

Man D, I'm offended. That's kinda female chauvinism isn't it? I like it when there are women around, no matter what I'm doing. LOL.

DL

Bawndoh said:

Don't be offended CAB , was just responding to Bawndoh's specific question as above  ;) "do you just so happen to have a man around to help?" -  don't happen to need a man around to help (would a fish on a bicycle help you out??) - not female chauvinism  just REALITY!  ;)

(did you know that chauvinism was named for Chauvin, a soldier in Napoleon's army noted for loud-mouthed patriotism)

Bawndoh

Thanks for the responses...including the "comments"...haha.  I suppose I would be even more safe if I could get a man to load the syringes before hand, and then (ladies) can inject.
A funny about CIDR's....MEN, NEVER keep CIDR's in your coverall pockets all day on a hot day...especially when you dont have anything under those coveralls.  You will be REALLY happy for a long time later in the day.  True Story.

shorthorns r us

Bawndoh said:
Thanks for the responses...including the "comments"...haha.  I suppose I would be even more safe if I could get a man to load the syringes before hand, and then (ladies) can inject.
A funny about CIDR's....MEN, NEVER keep CIDR's in your coverall pockets all day on a hot day...especially when you dont have anything under those coveralls.  You will be REALLY happy for a long time later in the day.  True Story.

what would cause such a reaction?