ET School

Help Support Steer Planet:

trevorgreycattleco

Dr Elsden, thanks for taking time to reply. I am going to disagree with you on a couple points. First, I never complained about buying a bad microscope. The one I have is top notch as far as I can tell. That was never the issue. My issue is when I am out in the barn and my ex wife comes in bawling because you were rude to her and you were short. Maybe you dont remember. I dont really care anymore. Its water under the bridge. This young lady was asking for opinions. I gave mine. I know for sure that my ex wife called you twice and you tried to give her the short answer and made her feel like a idiot. Maybe she was a slow learner. All I know is flushing a cow is a hard thing to do. Im sure in your eyes you did no wrong. The only thing I really learned from embryo transfer is this. I can make just as much progress with my own bull and cows and save the time and expense and frustration. ET calves can be just as incinsistent as normal calves IMO.. To each their own. ET is not for me. I still got the freezer and all the gizmos if anybody wants to buy them. The freezer deal looks pretty cool but since my ex wife could care less about them, they just sit here and collect dust.

I dont question your knowledge or abilities Dr Elsden. I researched you before she went. You invented the whole ET thing so you need praise where deserved.  Cowboy on here is a good fella as far as I can tell. He doesnt know me fron uncle but I believe his word is solid. I respect his opinion and views on things. And by the way, its ok to be grumpy from time to time. I know I sure do have my share of moments.

ROAD WARRIOR

While I don't know this Dr Elsden character from Adam, I do know "cowboy" Terry Morris very well. He has exclusively done all of my E T work that I have done in the last few years. It was on steer planet that I first learned of him and began asking him questions. I had previously had a terrible experience with a "embriologist" (using that term very loosely!) and it had cost me a train load of money for virtually 0 results. One thing that I do know about Terry is that if he says that your cow has a problem but he thinks he can make her work, you better get some space made in the tank. He routinely gets "problem" cows that someone else has screwed up and gets them to work if there is any way possible. If you take a donor cow to him, he will know more about your cow in 30 days or less than you know about your own cow. Terry has NEVER misrepresented himself to me or told me a half truth to benefit himself. In this business that says alot about people. Make abosolutely no mistake about it, there is a reason I drive by several E T facilities on my 11 hour drive to get to Terry's place with my donors. RW

cowgirl_forever

I would really like to defend Dr. Elsden in this situation.  After reading everyone's posts I was worried about going to the International Embryo Transfer School, BUT I did and IT WAS GREAT.  I went to this school as someone who knew the concept of AI but had never tried it.  I caught on so quick.  Even flushing and transferring embryos wasn't as hard as I expected.  If anyone wants to learn about embryo recovery "flushing" embryo transfer and everything in between, Dr. Elsden is the place to go.  He was there at the start and he carries all the information and research that he has gathered throughout the years and presents it to you in an easy and understanding manner.  He is NOT a "grumpy old man," I really enjoyed spending the week with him and listening to all the stuff that he knew.  I was actually sad when the end of the week came and I had to leave. 

angus88

I went to that school back in 2004 and I learned a lot, and yes I had years of A.I experience so it helped.  I liked the fact that, the school in MS is longer than just 3 days like Ag Tech.  I have known people who went to the Ag Tech one and they enjoyed it.  I will say that the School in MS was an all day, everyday thing which I think is good and yes he does get grumpy but you can ask him anything and he will answer and I have even emailed him since and he does respond.  I can tell you that you will learn a lot from this guy, and if he bites your head off, let it go.  He gets over things quickly and is back to joking.  I do remember that he yelled at me once, but I was trying to help "kids" (young men) who had never even A.I.ed before.  I would still go back.  No I don't flush my own cows anymore, I still put in embryos though.  The reason I don't flush my own cows, is that I had to come back and try and teach my family on how to help me and without great facilities to do it, it makes it tough.  I really enjoyed the class and learned so much from it that I still use it today.  I honestly hate the microscope work, If I  would have taken someone with me to learn just the lab part then I may still be flushing cows, at least I know I could flush a cow sometime if I really wanted to. 

Something to think about though is that he will teach just the lab work and freezing to someone and I believe that is a shorter stay and I know it's cheaper.  Trying to flush a cow and do all the lab work and freezing all on your own is a little frustrating....well maybe I don't have the patience for an all day feat.  I am not sure but he still may use the original freezer that you stick in the semen tank, fyi that one takes awhile, if you have the money buy a better one from Ag Tech.  I do know also that there are different companies you can order your supplies from, but Ag Tech is my favorite! 

Good luck!

flyintale

cowgirl_forever said:
I would really like to defend Dr. Elsden in this situation.  After reading everyone's posts I was worried about going to the International Embryo Transfer School, BUT I did and IT WAS GREAT.  I went to this school as someone who knew the concept of AI but had never tried it.  I caught on so quick.   Even flushing and transferring embryos wasn't as hard as I expected.  If anyone wants to learn about embryo recovery "flushing" embryo transfer and everything in between, Dr. Elsden is the place to go.  He was there at the start and he carries all the information and research that he has gathered throughout the years and presents it to you in an easy and understanding manner.  He is NOT a "grumpy old man," I really enjoyed spending the week with him and listening to all the stuff that he knew.  I was actually sad when the end of the week came and I had to leave. 

Wasn't it awesome!!!  I enjoyed myself and I learned sooooo much!!!