ET success

Help Support Steer Planet:

SeannyT

Was just doing some reading on embryo transfers today and wondered, for those of you who use it, what your success rate is usually. Also, whether you use frozen or fresh embryos.
Thanks,
Sean

Aussie

There are some many variables with ET. I use mature cows with fresh and frozen have slightly more success with fresh. With a success rate of about 65% although my last lot I had 6 for 6 so the next will properly be a disaster LOL. Condition and nutrition of recieps have a lot to do with take % as with any other breeding program. Cowboy on here should answer all your questions if you pm him.

Bulldaddy

When it comes to ET there are so many variables: the cow, nutrition, semen, practitioner it is hard predict what you can expect.  That said, we have have results ranging from 0 to 38 eggs on the flush side.  We usually average around 60 percent on planting fresh eggs versus 50 on frozen. 

jbzdad

I think we hit above 80 % on implanted embryos but we also only implanted about 80 percent of the planned recips... heat synch and detection  is not easy

Show Heifer

Like others have said, sooo many variables... of which who's doing flushing, who's doing the implanting, donor nutrition, recep nutrition, weather, genetics (some cows/bulls work better than others), etc.
I have had great flushes result in 0 pregnancies (0 for 32 from 3 flushes) and I have had small flushes result 5 out of 6 pregnancies.
The recep herd I use typically run 70-73% conception on 200+ embryos year in and year out. Alll frozen.

If you run into poor results you can general remove most of the variables and pin point where the change needs to be made. From my experience, ET is a technology that is constantly being tweeked, with results that general will be "Wish I had gotten one more..."!

Also, keep in mind, this is not a "get rich quick" fix, or a "gonna buy the perfect animal" situation. More have lost it all, than ever struck it rich!