expecting twins

Help Support Steer Planet:

LazyGLowlines

We have a set of twins due in the next couple weeks.  The due date is July 3rd (after subtracting embryo age).  (These are lowline calves in a recip cow.)  Does the cow normally calve on time/close to due date or do they tend to come early?  They're in a cow that's had a couple embryo calves already and does a great job. Any suggestions?

SKF

We just found out the other day that our heifer is expecting twins in about a month. This will be our first set of twins and of course they will be out of a heifer so I am a little worried. I was wondering to if twins come early or on time.

TJ

We've had lots of twins over the years.  One year when we were about half done calving, we had about a 115-120% (can't remember exactly) calf crop!!  A few things that I noticed....

A) Females that have twins almost always need to be cleaned a few days after calving. 
B)Some females will mother both twins & let both nurse.  Others will pick one & go off & forget about the other.   
C) If the female lets both nurse, you almost have to supplement her nutrition or she will lose her condition fast!
D) I don't recall any arriving too much earlier than the due date, although they could. 

If it were me & you KNOW that you are going to have twins, I'd put the female in a small lot by herself where you can watch her closely & you can provide whatever assistance is needed.  Best case scenario you will have to clean her & feed her really good.  Worst case scenario, you will have to force her to let both nurse, or if she wont accept one or if doesn't have enough milk, you may have to bottle feed one. 

OH Breeder

LazyGLowlines said:
We have a set of twins due in the next couple weeks.  The due date is July 3rd (after subtracting embryo age).  (These are lowline calves in a recip cow.)   Does the cow normally calve on time/close to due date or do they tend to come early?  They're in a cow that's had a couple embryo calves already and does a great job. Any suggestions?

We had a single embryo split and we had triplets. They came unassited 55#'s x 3.One was stilll born but two were very lively. They were 7 days early but twins survived. All heifers and marked red and white. My ET guy was with the cow when seh started calving. But she shelled them out like peas in a pod. It all depends on how they are positioned. I have had twins both try adn come at the same time and have to be manipulated into position. I would pen the cow up and make sure I was present when the delivery began. The reciep that had them did so well milking that they grafted a third calf on her and she has taken care of all three calves. They also supplemented the calves with bottle.

TJ

OH Breeder said:
LazyGLowlines said:
We have a set of twins due in the next couple weeks.  The due date is July 3rd (after subtracting embryo age).  (These are lowline calves in a recip cow.)   Does the cow normally calve on time/close to due date or do they tend to come early?  They're in a cow that's had a couple embryo calves already and does a great job. Any suggestions?

We had a single embryo split and we had triplets. They came unassited 55#'s x 3.One was stilll born but two were very lively. They were 7 days early but twins survived. All heifers and marked red and white. My ET guy was with the cow when seh started calving. But she shelled them out like peas in a pod. It all depends on how they are positioned. I have had twins both try adn come at the same time and have to be manipulated into position. I would pen the cow up and make sure I was present when the delivery began. The reciep that had them did so well milking that they grafted a third calf on her and she has taken care of all three calves. They also supplemented the calves with bottle.

Yep, most of the time they are born unassisted, but I agree that occasionally both of them will try to come at the same time & they could require assistance.  We actually had to assist a Tarentaise cow this spring as she tried to deliver both twins at the same time. 

TJ

LazyGLowlines said:
TJ said:
A) Females that have twins almost always need to be cleaned a few days after calving. 

Cleaned with lute?

We actually have our Vet come out & clean them.  Some people give 5 cc of Lut along with 20 cc of dexamethazone (not sure if that is spelled correctly) instead of having a Vet come out (some Vets don't like cleaning cows or working with large animals period).  Not sure if Lut alone would do the job well enough & I've always heard of combining it with dex.