experience with Trans OVA IVF at Fletcher for reverse sorted embryos

Help Support Steer Planet:

jbzdad

The staff was very helpful and accommodating
I took 2 first calf heifer pairs (both 3/4 main) and they were there for 2 cycles... about 3 weeks
total cost looks like about 5500... got 9 embryos from one donor and 2 from the other ...I am a little suspicious I am battling a copper deficiency here so the low producer could be due to that ( the high producer has been at another location)
I will probably try again next year after bumping up the multi min a little

Heifers are much easier for me to market than bulls

This heifer belongs to the lower producing donor

Attachments

• I-80 heifer.jpg
    I-80 heifer.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 317

MDitmars

That was the total? That seems a bit low on the embryo count for two separate shots. and with reverse sorting i am guessing you mean you had them sexed from traditional semen (supposedly you could lose a bit due to this). The cost is understandable from them figuring they probably only charged you full price for one of them then half price for the other 3 draws. Plus the freezing cost and the holding cost.

I don't know if i would count this towards nutrition as the second go should have balanced since they were taking care of the animals. (not sure the time frame on nutrient turn around and the effect of the reproductive tract) From what i understand embryo production is strongly heritable so it might be wise to look to a different heifer.

As for price, i believe when i looked at it trans-ova was about 200 miles away and it was worth it to take them down have them drawn the same day return home with them. For the second round just continue setting up at home and take them back for a second draw. This method would reduce stress effects as they would be in their natural environment (your farm) for the most part minus the draw. Especially with only 2 trips.

jbzdad

I think they used 1 straw of X and one straw of Blk Gold,,, sorted it and divided it between the 2 groups of oocytes.....the fee is reduced to 750 for "low production cycles".. the one donor produced just one freezable embryo each cycle

yes I will probably not take the lo producing donor back there.. trans ova in Fletcher is about 500 miles away so it was easier for me to leave them there... cows and calves came home in good shape