export bulls to scotland

Help Support Steer Planet:

Okotoks

Here is a list of Canadian bulls that I can remember being exported to the UK between about 1986 and 1997. This is does not include semen or embryos sent over. There was a couple exportations of females about the same time.

BANNER INSTANT ROYAL 31Y (P)
CACTUS FLAT ASTRONAUT 13A (H)
DIAMOND DAKOTA 2D IMP(CAN) (P)
DIAMOND FORTUNE (P)
DIAMOND XERXES 8X (P)
DOWNSVIEW ROAN MIST 30X (H)
EIONMOR IDEAL 60F (CAN) (P)
EIONMOR MASTERPIECE 99D IMP(CAN) (P)
EIONMOR MOCHICAN 21X (H)
GAFA CAPTAIN 10W (H)
GLENFORD DIRECTOR (P)
GLENFORD PRINCE 1Z (P)
KENBAR RENEGADE 21W (H)
SCOTSDALE TRADITION (P)
T BAR DONE DEAL (H)

woodyc

thanks those bulls that left were they good bulls for the north american market in those day? of the bulls on your list the best one i know of is eionmor ideal 60f he didnt live long sadly but a lot of the top herds of the day had a son they would of made a better impact at sales but the foot and mouth was on the go the year the crop of calves was ready to sell

Okotoks

When the first bulls from Canada were selected they were from the closed herd book . They may not have been 100% by every country's standards but they were a very high percentage pure. They needed to qualify as 100% at the time because the majority of UK cattle were very high percentage Maine Anjou. This had resulted in complaints from the Maine Anjou Society that had pointed out there was a herd book for Maine Anjou cattle. When the Shorthorns in the British herd book were looked at it was found the percentage of Shorthorn blood was lower in most cases than that of Maine Anjou blood and this resulted in the Shorthorn breed being classified as a rare breed. I believe there was some kind of subsidy to help with quarantine and shipping costs of bulls for rare breeds. (this is how I remember the initial shipments, if someone has better info on the program please share)

woodyc

as far as i know the Canadian government give help to Scots buyers if a bull was bought they payed the flight if if they went to a show they got free entry