Express yourself....

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

Reading through the post towards the end of my business day. Whew. SOme strong opinions. Lets for a moment take a look at how we can best express our opinions. I guess, when i post I try to think of how it might be misinterpreted if not read correctly. I think we can express disdain with advertising or marketing or even sales practices. But, if we make strong statments against someone or something, once it is out there it can not be taken back. Some will say "well that is the point...." so be it.

I haven't visited some of the other cattle sights because when you did post your opinion sometimes you were hit with negative nasty replies. Regardless of how it was posted some folks became down right mean. I relish a good debate just as much as the next person. Just hate to see this sight turn that direction.

Agree or disagree?

farmboy

THATS MAINLY WHY I CAME HERE. OVER ON SHOWSTEERS, TO MANY TH AND PHA QUESTIONS. AND BASHERS OVER THERE. THIS PLACE IS THE BEST.

red

I agree whole heartily OH B. When someone expresses an opinion about a bull, cow or product it is their opinion or view. But to come down on that person because they have that opinion is not right.
I guess, to also keep criticizing a person, their breeding program on a continuous basis is also tiring.
We started out having fun & think we can get back to it. If you just take a moment to think before you post it will a lot of times be better. remember we can't all think the same way or like the same type of cattle. life would be so boring!

Thanks,
Red

DLD

Internet communication can be a difficult thing. Without being able to hear someone's tone of voice, or see their expressions and body language, it's really easy for something meant as humor to come out as sarcasm and for sarcasm to come out as being rude. It's hard to type something here in black and white that disagrees with others (especially with a group of others) without someone taking offense, even if offense wasn't meant.

I've been on the 'net for nearly 7 years, and have participated on many different forums, most of 'em way more controversial in nature than this one. I've always enjoyed the interaction and exchange of information and ideas, and the friendships I've made. This board has much more of a community nature than any of the other cattle boards I've been involved with, and I like that alot. It's great that the mods here encourage posts of more entertaining and personal nature than the others, it makes it a more fun place to hang out. The thing we have to remember is that we don't all agree on everything - it'd get pretty boring if we did, but we really need to try to be respectful to one another. I know some people don't feel that certain others deserve their respect, but if that attitude prevails throughout the whole board, pretty soon nobody's left except a few people patting each other on the back and making fun of everyone else... I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, I'm just saying I've seen it happen too many times before. There's a huge wealth of knowledege here about most anything bovine plus a whole lot of other stuff, too - it'd be a shame for this to become a place others consider to be intolerant and inhospitable...

David

DL

Well I know I have strong opinions on topics I consider medical messes and I know I am blunt - so I also know that there is some of the comments in the above posts directed to me - and that's OK

I like the fact that we are a community, but I do have a problem with people trying to stifle opinions under the guise of something else.

In my opinion people who market high dollar animals and tons of semen, who send me catalogs, who show up at the Expos to promote their bulls are in the realm of the public domain - if I said something about not liking the way Halliburton (sp?) does business  no one would care, but say something about those who are making large amounts of money from semen from (undisclosed) carrier bulls or comment on the high dollar carrier cattle and that is apparently a sin of some sort - yeah, having fun is nice, but if having an opinion about a campaign that is in the public domain is bashing then there is a real problem. They made a marketing decision, I  have no knowledge of why, but I think it was the wrong one, and this "sin of omission" with a spin (Look at Paddy O'Malley - big  letters TH FREE, yes but) is almost deceptive...

Yeah I am sure PHA gets boring to some, just as hair does to me. If the big boys want to explain why they don't have PHA and TH results on all their bulls on their web site we at SP would welcome their joining us and explaining their position......DL

itk

Isn't this where someone is susposed to say "Ok kids can't we all just get along." (lol)

shortyjock89

itk said:
Isn't this where someone is susposed to say "Ok kids can't we all just get along." (lol)

Yes Mrs. Thompson...."If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all..." haha

red

NEVER!!!!!!!! I personally hated seeing that everytime I logged on.

I don't think Ohio B meant it that way. I think he's just trying to get a good dialogue going.

Red

shortyjock89

red said:
NEVER!!!!!!!! I personally hated seeing that everytime I logged on.

I don't think Ohio B meant it that way. I think he's just trying to get a good dialogue going.

Red

Yeah, I know what you mean Red.  I was just playing along with it.  But really, I think we got it out of our systems. At least I hope so.  If everything were perfect, life wouldn't be interesting!

DL

shortyjock89 said:
itk said:

Yes Mrs. Thompson...."If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all..." haha

One of the reasons I don't visit SS much anymore is the constant red (not you Red) reminder everytime I logged on telling me basically to behave - opinions and behavior are 2 different things and if we can't have opinions there are places on the WWW where we can go!! ;D

So while we can't always get the sarcasm and the facial expression (even with smileys! :( ??? :-*) so we often miss the real intent - we can also probably all have a bit more cooth

New SP cheer..
Cooth for the masses, ra ra ra
Cooth for the uncooth, ra ra ra
Pass the cooth, ra ra ra
Save some Beefpaca for your neighbor
(now that's cooth)
ra ra ra

(welcome)

DLD

DL, I wasn't referring to you or to your or anyone else's opinion of other peoples marketing. I apologize if it came across that way. I agree that people who publicly promote their cattle (or clothes or cars or whatever) have opened themselves up to critique from that public. What I meant was our attitudes toward each other as posters on this forum. I should have made that clearer in my original post.

David

OH Breeder

I have met and talked with some outstanding people. Learned more than I ever thought I could from an internet board. I really like the raw nature of some and the honesty of others. I don't know, I wasn'ttrying to  put anyone down but noticed a tone. We are a tight knit group on here. that is OKAY! I would defend anyone of you and YOUR opinions. I just want to keep the information flowing in a way that we all can benefit.

DL, Like your idea of inviting a breeder to post on here. I am not sure folks would but it never hurts to ask. I am not sure if we could make it a "spot Light" on the front page of the sight. I like to read the profiles on breeders when visiting webpages and that might work. Maybe I am little out of touch but this is a really good forum to get to the mass's. PH and TH  don't get boring to me. I pretty much am amused and educated every day i check in on the board. Thank you for your contributions DL!

DLD----RIGHT ON THE MONEY!

shortdawg

Hey , I love this site and look forward to seeing all the different opinions on the posts. There is a wealth on info and experince on this site and we all can have fun learning from one another.

DL

DLD said:
DL, I wasn't referring to you or to your or anyone else's opinion of other peoples marketing. I apologize if it came across that way. I agree that people who publicly promote their cattle (or clothes or cars or whatever) have opened themselves up to critique from that public. What I meant was our attitudes toward each other as posters on this forum. I should have made that clearer in my original post.

David

DLD, I think of you, OH Breeder, chambero, ELBEE, shortdawg, Telos (and of course the Amigoettes, Red Show Heifer, Gypsy) and our SP kids (yeah, you farmboy, SJ89, NYer, lawdag etc), cowz, justme, knabe, sru, itk, xxcc, Jill  and all the rest too numerous to mention as valuable members of a wierd and yet wonderful kind of community of people with a vast difference in backgrounds, interests, locations, experiences, goals  etc who share a common interest in the bovine and things bovine - heck I can't even get along with myself sometimes, can't really believe how well we all do generally - a tasteful reminder to maintain cooth, like a modicum of levity, is always appreciated.... (clapping) (clapping)

red

See I knew we could do it! To think there are rumors out there that we all can't get along!

I guess I just ask that we treat other how we like to be treated ourselves. to me that's the best way to approch people & life.
As DLD said if we all agreed on everything, life would be pretty boring! You just have to realize that & learn to take the disagreements not to heart. But also remember when you do post something negative you are talking about someone's livelyhood, someone's family or friends or worse yet... someone cattle!

Red ;)

bluegrass

Did I miss something? Have some of the good folks on SP been drinking to much Hater-Aid? I have always thought this was the friendliest bunch of all the cattle sites. I don't get to read all the posts, so what's all the drama about?     

Ozraptor

"There's always a dead end or two on the information super highway" - Jack Russell

red

Blue Grass, it's nothing. We are all just humans & there will be times when we have a disagreement or nose that gets out of joint. Happens in every family!
I think we've talked it out & are cool at this point. Hate to rehash it to be honest.
Thanks for your support!!!
Red

Show Heifer

I look at the folks on this board as a community...and sometimes a community goes through growing pains. But somehow, when push comes to shove, they all come together and hold a pot luck picnic!!  (welcome)
I realize I am a bit blunt sometimes, but I am use to dealing with thick headed people and that is the best way to get their attention! But believe me, I trust every opinion on here is backed by a personal experience that only that person  knows about and probably not exposed here. Different opinions can be formed from different experiences as well as a different take on the SAME experience! :eek:
Never met anyone on this board, but hope to (trying to plan a trip to OH expo next year!!) But can tell ya all, that I consider everyone a friend (even those I don't exactly agree with), and will help, defend, encourage, educated, and laugh at/with anyone on here!!
Glad to have met everyone and hope to meet many more! (clapping) (clapping)