ext 2

Help Support Steer Planet:

b_kackley

I'll second that. I worked at a place that had 50 direct daughters. They were one big group of nut jobs. All seemed to have extra fuzz on the edges of their ears with a brown ting to it. After working there and using a shovel to keep them out of the back of the truck there is no ext in any of our cattle. PSYCHO

Tyler

Our vet used quite a bit of EXT and the daughters made the Limis from 20 years ago look like puppy dogs.  What was he known for besides the bad disposition of his progeny?

GoWyo

He is a cow maker.  Once the wild ones are culled, the rest generally make good cows.  Their best place probably isn't around a farm, but they will take care of business on a range situation, which is where they excel.  Some of my best cows have EXT as the maternal grand sire and their dispositions have been excellent.

Medium Rare

GoWyo said:
He is a cow maker.  Once the wild ones are culled, the rest generally make good cows.  Their best place probably isn't around a farm, but they will take care of business on a range situation, which is where they excel.  Some of my best cows have EXT as the maternal grand sire and their dispositions have been excellent.

As you mentioned, EXT made a big chunk of his living on the range.  I really don't know how many semen tanks of EXT I helped empty into cows in the western dakotas, but all those guys wanted cows who could take care of themselves and bring in a calf without supervision, which often times comes with a little spunk.

"They spit calves mid stride". "I only need to see them 3 or 4 times a year".  They run this place, I just pay the bills". Every ranch had their own line, but it was clear he was giving them exactly what they wanted.  I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few of the commercial guys restock with his genetics for another shot of cows they feel will work just like they did last time around.

all.thumbs

We have a direct daughter that is gentle.  We can give shots in the lot without putting her in a chute.  At 17, flushed 13 eggs.

b_kackley

I will say they are not all bad tempered, just most of them. His calves were hardy came small and did grow and perform well. He also was a carcass improver. If he is back in the pedigree a couple of generations i wouldn't be scared of him, I just know my personal experience was not a good one. I want my cows to protect their calves, just not cave in the side of a truck bed or mash a bale rack to get me. I do see your point of how out on the range with little supervision they would be OK.