Whose calves are Meaner???

• EXT

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • Cowboy Cut

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

husker1

In addition to the EXT's, the Lucy's Boy females knew how to rattle chutes.....back in the clipping days.

Showmom

My son had an EXT steer a couple years ago.  Breeder thought he was from another line when we picked got him but papers said otherwise.  He had a good temperament but then again this son picks the best tempered animals. 

inthebarnagain

No experience with the cowboy cuts but my husband used to work angus sales and he swore up and down the EXT's and the Lucy's Boys were the worst.  My personal hate is the Scotch Caps.  Had one momma that literally ran my husband up a tree right after she had calved and then circled around under it waiting on him to come down.  Where was my video when that happened!!!!

DiamondS

I have calves out of an GAR EXT donor and they are frickin nuts.  I second the Lucy's Boy's!!!!!  Bulls, females, it didn't matter- they were all nuts.  Recently, I've had quite a bit of experience with some Exacto's and they would be the first one's to leave my herd if I owned them.

I've heard people say that the Freightliner's were nuts.  I've got a really nice son of him that is so easy to deal with.  His only quirk is that he won't get on the back half of a stock trailer.  He has to be on the front.  His calves have been really nice to be around too!

A couple pics of him

Attachments

• 552909-R1-01-23A_002.jpg
    552909-R1-01-23A_002.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 160
  • 552909-R1-03-21A_004.jpg
    552909-R1-03-21A_004.jpg
    688.3 KB · Views: 155

jbw

I have had way more trouble with the Stockman 365 cattle than the EXT cattle!  We have used around 500 units(or more) of EXT.  I think that alot of it is how they are handled. We have had a few that could get a little waspy, but we have had 6807, 365, and more so chi cattle that way.  In my experience there is no comparison with EXT and a Sugar Ray for temperment!!

showsteerdlux

The worse heifer that I have ever dealt with was a Bando 1961 out of an EXT dam. That gal was crazy, and as soon as I thought she had settled down she decided it'd be fun to knock me on the ground and have a stomping party. I had previously thought the Heat Seekers were a little nutty, but after she got done with me I considered the Seekers baby dolls. The people that tried getting the heifer off of me counted me getting kicked in the head 8 times and when I finally got up she kicked me again in the stomach. Felt pretty rough for a few days. That was a 5 weight heifer and I weigh a solid 270 and am 6'2 so she was a fireball. But the other 1961's I've dealt with are fine, even had a neighbors bull come up to get his head scratched, so the comment about how they are handled couldn't be said in a better way.

herefordfootball

showsteernc said:
The worse heifer that I have ever dealt with was a Bando 1961 out of an EXT dam. That gal was crazy, and as soon as I thought she had settled down she decided it'd be fun to knock me on the ground and have a stomping party. I had previously though the Heat Seekers were a little nutty, but after she got done with me I considered the Seekers baby dolls. The people that tried getting the heifer off of me counted me getting kicked in the head 8 times and when I finally got up she kicked me again in the stomach. Felt pretty rough for a few days. That was a 5 weight heifer and I weigh a solid 270 and am 6'2 so she was a fireball. But the other 1961's I've dealt with are fine, even had a neighbors bull come up to get his head scratched, so the comment about how they are handled couldn't be said in a better way.

We've had some mean Heat Seekers too. Havent really dealt with much worse than them. Except for an angus bull straight of the ranch. He was uncut, not weaned, never had a halter either. He was a job to turn into a showsteer.

lowann

The worst steer we ever had to work with was a Secret Service. We finally got him tamed down, but it took lots of kicks, being drug, and a few stand offs. Once we got him tame, he was actually fun to be around, hundreds of bruises later.

afhm

Some of the meanest I ever had  were by Who Made Who, Mailman, Mossy Oak, Strictly Business, Friction, Shiver, Full Throttle, Warpath, Heat Wave, About Time.  Haven't had a bad one out of him yet, but I have heard that Hairy Bear himself is pretty mean.

beefy08

Has anyone had any trouble with any Hard Core cattle? I have a heifer that will shake her head at me and will even charge at me.

AStar

Ext was the result of an accidental mating of sire to daughter. He has been one of the most successful and widely used bulls in the Angus breed, but he had an UncleDaddy complex that he passes on to his progeny. Some can handle it others can, thus the craziness. ;)

steerjock92

I have a playmate x ext cow, bred heifer, shes high headed and acts like she wants to kill you when you pen her up in tha lot.

knabe

steerjock92 said:
I have a playmate x ext cow, bred heifer, shes high headed and acts like she wants to kill you when you pen her up in tha lot.

that's how my wife gets.

kk

All i know is that every jack frost we ever had was a man killer 3 of 4 were unbreakable