EXT

Help Support Steer Planet:

BCCC

Don't know much about angus. What does EXT work on? Any pics of calves? How would he work on maine cows?  Show Quality? Thanks in advance!

lowann

We have an EXT cow we bought at The Dakota Classic a couple of years ago. Huge bodied soggy made cow. Gave us a set of twin heifers this year, tons of milk. Didn't have to supplement either one of them. Don't know much about EXT himself, but we sure like the Daughter we got out of him!!

PLKR

All of the EXT daughters we have had have been excellent mothers, lots of capacity, lots of milk, etc. Disposition can certainly be an issue...As for show quality, probably not in the clubby deal, at least out of most cows. That being said, EXT daughters out of Maine cows could make some really nice clubby mommas, I would think.

PLKR

redwingfarm said:
Ext will make great momma cows, but be very careful on disposition, Ext cows are some of the meanest and most unpredictable out there
Yep, we have found they are best left alone when calving..... ;D

lowann

PLKR said:
redwingfarm said:
Ext will make great momma cows, but be very careful on disposition, Ext cows are some of the meanest and most unpredictable out there
Yep, we have found they are best left alone when calving..... ;D

Ditto with ours. After a couple of weeks she's ok, but you do not want to get close to her after she calves!!

Aussie

Agree with above can take a lot of breaking and if there is a double cross of ext in the pedigree forget it. Make great cows if used right

shortdawg

All the Angus cows that I own have EXT influence. I haven't bred them all Angus everytime but if I had they would all be pathfinder dams. Really consistent, calve to the date every year and produce a long time. I have two out of an EXT son that are AI bred with their 8th calf and one has only been bred by the cleanup bull once.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
Have had commercial guys get rif of all daughter because so hard to handle an will kill new born calves ....We have one donor cow out of EXT -X- Bando 155  an might be the best cow I ever owned an some of my customers are sure she is ,,,,,

andy

Hate to spoil the party, but the EXT calves I had several years ago were horriable.  Small, frail and lacking muscle.  Had snake-like temperaments to boot.  Only had a few, maybe about 5 or so, and they were all bull calves out of pretty good PB Angus cows.  Sold the rest of my semen.  Paid something like $40.00 for it and sold it for $125.00.

Show Steaks

we have 3 EXT daughters , the one is probabbly our best cow we've kept every calf she has had as either a replacement or a bull and she is easy to handle during.
other 2 look great but must not have found there perfect mating yet because the calves never look as good as the mommas, they are GOOD MOMMAS no coyote will EVER get there calf
her's a pic of first our good EXT cow
a replacement heifer waiting to get for the first time (out of br midland herd bull)
and last a picture of the bull she produced last year and is currently breeding cows(out of duff Outer Limits)
31cow.jpg

831.jpg

102may5.jpg

KCC73

Show Steaks said:
not trying to steal the post but how does he work bred to simmental cows?
We had some halves and quarter bloods out of him and EXT sons.  Real good performace cattle that get a little on the big size.  Got rid of all of them as they were the meanest things imaginable after calving.  Quiet to be around the rest of the year but for a month after calving they would try and hunt you down. 

Aussie

This my only EXT cow great cow but not good when she calved and had atitude. When I would move the mob every time she would walk the other way because she could. 12 years old when photo taken. By the way that is red dirt on her back she is not a red carrier.

Attachments

• P3140502.JPG
    P3140502.JPG
    629.8 KB · Views: 516

TMJ Show Cattle

Some of the best Angus cows I've ever been around in fifty some odd years were EXT X 6807 blend. Several around the country are being used for purebred and club calf production. The EXT'S cross with some of the Maines really well.

fullblood

only cows i ever had go backwards  in to shoot to bred . very good mother cow don't go in alone with a calf on them ???

Show Steaks

funny you say that freddy because ours have a beautiful square him and only one(of 3) of them ever puts it into the calf

trevorgreycattleco

Tom Elliot bred his cows to eat bears or at least try. All the EXT's I have been around wanted to eat anything that got to close. EXT's best trait is by far his daughters. They live a long time and have perfect udders. I have been told that at his sales, Mr. Elliott made no appologies for his cows tempermant, he wanted them mean. I had a JLB Exacto/ EXT female that was a very high priced cow. She ended up at the sale barn because she was flat NUTS. I would not sleep at night knowing I placed a cow like that with somebody else so she is hamburger. She was a beautiful cow, maybe out west on 50,000 acres would have been better for her lol.