extra teats

Help Support Steer Planet:

TXSimmy

Ok might be a stupid question, but were just not for sure. We have a show heifer that we have pretty high hopes for and found out she has extra teats on her udder. How much would this effect her in the showring or is it not a big deal? ???

knabe

even bulls have extra teats.  noticed that about 30 years ago.

the direct legacy plus females i have had 2 or 4 vestigial teats.

TXSimmy

Yes i know its not uncommon and I've seen plenty with them, but does it effect their show ring appeal?

advocate

No I have yet to see a judge get under and look that close you'll be fine

CAB

If the heifer was a bred and springing and the extra teats caused some distortion of the udder, that would cause some concern, but if she is a virgin young heifer I don't think that it will be a problem. More heifers than not will have 2 nondeveloped teats towards the rear of the udder.

kanshow

If the heifer was a bred and springing and the extra teats caused some distortion of the udder, that would cause some concern,
We have them taken off of show heifers for that reason.  Also might be a concern if you ever wanted to show her as  a pair. 

coachmac

I hate to throw a curveball out there, but I have a young heifer that has what could be described as one teat made up to two teats.  Like they are fused or glued together.  Cute heifer, but noticed it last night while doing some clipping. 

The Show

As a heifer calf it won't be a problem, but when she get's in to the senior calf division where she is heavy bred or showing as a pair it could be a problem. I've seen several judges that check them. I'd have them cut off it was me.

SEA

I agree with CAB and Kanshow.  Not a problem unless you plan on showing her as a late bred or as a cow.  If so, have them removed (at an early age), by your Vet.  They will simply cut them off.  No biggie.

SRC

ive got a 2 year old heifer, just calved...milking fine but she also has the 2 teats fused together...as well as a yearling. how do i fix this? will a vet take it off of a milking female? and will a vet have a problem taking off a fused teat from a yearling?

Bradenh

since you are from texas. it will be fine. these judges can give two hoots wether a cow is bred or what a bag looks look like all they want is one that looks good standing in the ring and they dont pay attention to udders around here. you will be fine

TXSimmy

Show stopper 95 said:
since you are from texas. it will be fine. these judges can give two hoots wether a cow is bred or what a bag looks look like all they want is one that looks good standing in the ring and they dont pay attention to udders around here. you will be fine

Well i wish that was true about udders, but we've got a cow that has won numerous places and once she got an udder and it was unbalanced she got killed by it......I'm with you on this, I think as long as it is functioning and raising a good sized calf you shouldnt be killed on something like that

Bradenh

yeah my champion gert at belt buckle and S and S never bred and she won up until the day we turned her out for never taking. we just said yeah shes bred. up to about 7 months and they never questioned it. it is crazy