Eye Candy & Boardwalk

Help Support Steer Planet:

SkyMeadowsFarm

I am a 4-H member and am looking for some information about the 2 bulls; Eye Candy & Boardwalk. I'd like to buy semen, but I wanted to know if people are having joint problems in their offspring. As well as any calving issues. Are there any traits that these bulls seem very consistent in passing along?

kjd farms

We've used both bulls successfully. 

Regarding calving ease, both are fine ranging from 70-90 lbs, with the odd one a bit higher.  Our cows that have calved them are non clubby bred cows, mostly purebred or high % black angus.

Never had any joint issue with them out of about 40 calves between both sires.

Good luck.

CRS

We have a Boardwalk out of purebred Maine and she is awesome.  Great natured, calved easy  and has been a great mom.  Boardwalk added some muscle and body depth.  Lots of bone, great hair, and thick.  She has an 7 week old calf that is over 300lbs already and he was 60lbs at birth.  Would use Boardwalk again, good Monopoly son with WMW on the dam side.

Attachments

• bw1.jpg
    bw1.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 260
  • bw2.jpg
    bw2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 247

aarcher8774

WE have used both, boardwalk seems to throw a cleaner fronted calf... Eye Candy makes some good steers with tons of hair but the cost difference between the 2, I would use boardwalk...

Barry Farms

CRS I believe you had a typo, a 7 week old calf at 300 pounds would be an ADG of almost 5 pounds a day (4.8 not including the weight at birth 6.2 including bw). I don't believe that.

Mainevent

I would believe it. We have had yearling heifers average 4.3 pounds per day! So I'd believe a baby on milk and most likely creeped could average that.

CRS

Barry Farms, just getting back to reading posts.  The calf was born June 18th and that was not the found on date as you may imply.  He is on milk good pasture and creep feed.  We routinely have calves gain 5 lbs and more on milk and grain.  Our show steers have similar gains too.  Would not have commented on that if I did not find it remarkable.  The calf is out of a Boardwalk X Ali x Kadabra x Total Play and our herd bull, which is a Man Up x Bismark.  We use a tape method to weigh our cattle and find it to be somewhat accurate  http://ag.arizona.edu/backyards/articles/winter07/p11-12.pdf[/b].  You can choose to believe it or not.  I don't participate in this forum to boast, just to share experiences about my passion, good functional cattle, clubby or otherwise.