F-350 6.4L Powerstroke - N/C

Help Support Steer Planet:

showsteerdlux

jallen said:
cotullaguy said:
My 2003 Dodge 3500 4x4 diesel cummins is just about to turn 300,000 miles.  I have spent most of that pulling trailers and it has never never never let me down.  Gets about 14-16 mpg loaded and 20 mpg empty.  I will never own any other brand as long as they use the Cummins engine.
Not to pick on you but I have had several dodge trucks and friends with that truck and they don't get 14 mpg driving empty unless you did something to it. The 2009 Chevy i got gets 17 to 18 mpg driving around. Sorry not trying to start anything.
What'd you do to that Chevy? I know some people with that truck and it gets 15 at best, can't pull a trailer and is just a pain in the a** in the end. I had to drive it to a show and that led me to promise I'd never have one.

BadgerFan

I've come to think the only way to get good fuel mileage is to fib about it.

Shady Lane

jallen said:
cotullaguy said:
My 2003 Dodge 3500 4x4 diesel cummins is just about to turn 300,000 miles.  I have spent most of that pulling trailers and it has never never never let me down.  Gets about 14-16 mpg loaded and 20 mpg empty.  I will never own any other brand as long as they use the Cummins engine.
Not to pick on you but I have had several dodge trucks and friends with that truck and they don't get 14 mpg driving empty unless you did something to it. The 2009 Chevy i got gets 17 to 18 mpg driving around. Sorry not trying to start anything.

If your Dodge won't give you more than 14 mpg empty there is definitely something wrong with it.

I'm on my second which is a 2006 Megacab, 6 spd 4x4, I bought it new in February 2007 and have about 130,000 miles on it. It typically gives about 18 miles/ US gallon.

Pulling a 24' stk trailer loaded it varies from 10 - 13 MPG.

In 130,000 miles all I have replaced are u-joints on the rear drive shaft and a new pair of batteries, as well as 2 sets of tires.

Still on the original brakes, clutch etc. Before long it will need front end work, ball joints etc. Runs on gravel every single day and LOTS of it!

The truck I had previous to this one was a '99 Dodge 2500 quad cab, diesel, 5 spd, 4x4. It would give consistently 20 mpg empty and 15 mpg pulling the 20' steel trailer I had at the time. The 2006 is bone stock, the '99 had bigger injectors, straight pipe exhaust, modified intake and a Van Aiken Smartbox 65hp chip. The '99 is over 250,000 miles now.

countrypapa

dodge's problem is the cab. quad cab too small mega cab has no bed. have a stout 05 350 6.0 crew cab flat bed mileage stinks though dont buy a ton truck if mileage is a concern

Shady Lane

The bed on a Megacab is exactly the same size as that on a short box quad cab.

It's a misconception that a Mega has a different box than any other shortbox Dodge.

Shortbox trucks seem to be the norm anymore, been a long time since I even drove a truck with an 8' box.