F1 cross

Help Support Steer Planet:

garybob

JbarL said:
www.barzona.com   ( dont no how to add links  :))) )......very slick red hided.....built for the heat and  scrubby  grass....not sure about the ohio cold?....or if they would constitue an f1 ??    jbarl
Bent Tree Farm in Alabama owns some, and used them in the development of their Composites. A veterinarian in Iowa, Steve Radacovich, was always in both Drovers Journal and Beef magazines(during the 80's) promoting their adaptability and complete lack of defects on the cow side, as well as how well they Fed and Graded.
An AGR brother who now lives in Minnesota, said one of his Farm Bureau members is using them in a crossbreeding system.

Senepol cattle are another ''semi-eared'' breed. Intersting to note that both of these breeds have a factor of African (N'Dama and Africander)breeding, which is not the same as Zebu, or "Brahman".

Once again, proving that cattle have to bee slick-haired (except in winter) to be functional. Ask Coyote and JIT. Even in Canada, cows need to ''slick off" in the warmer months.

GB

JbarL

gb  thanks.......hair really isnt a priority for us any way...we are more intersed in heart , lungs and vigor...we are looking at some yearlings herre in fl, and they really caught our eye...super phenotype healthy catlle....just didnt know of anyone in the northern areas that  raise them ( and some who arent familiar with them at all ) in the cold climates....checked out bent tree you mentioned and found afew more as well..........i'm still a bit unsure of the color.....they use red angus in there composite..along with the african,herford and shorthorn....so if any of you "dominate/ recessive"  gene folks  could add some input i'd appreciate it.....thanks  jbarl

garybob

JbarL said:
gb   thanks.......hair really isnt a priority for us any way...we are more intersed in heart , lungs and vigor...we are looking at some yearlings herre in fl, and they really caught our eye...super phenotype healthy catlle....just didnt know of anyone in the northern areas that  raise them ( and some who arent familiar with them at all ) in the cold climates....checked out bent tree you mentioned and found afew more as well..........i'm still a bit unsure of the color.....they use red angus in there composite..along with the african,herford and shorthorn....so if any of you "dominate/ recessive"  gene folks  could add some input i'd appreciate it.....thanks  jbarl
Seems to be a prevalent reservation on "color" whenever Shorthorns are mentioned. I think that they used solid-red ones early on in the formation of the Composite, and, therefore, color won't be a problem, besides, someone else has already (the founders of the breed) done the hard work, so, expect positive results when you use them.

That's what I think, anyway.

GB