Facility ??s: MO State Fairgrounds; Sedalia Missouri

Help Support Steer Planet:

SSIMMENTALS

We are gearing up for nationals next week, and I had a few questions about the facility in Sedalia.
1) Are tie outs tie to the trailer, or is there a fenced area to tie to?
2) How is the electricity?
Thanks so much!! <cowboy>
Sarah

MOClubbyGuy

Being from Missouri, I can answer this question!

1) There are both however the space along the built-in rails is limited and away from shade. There are large mature trees up on the hill of tieouts that are great for pulling next to tie to trailer. However this space fills up quickly so if you can get their early, might consider it.

2)Electricity is pretty good. We have never had a problem with running fans and blowers in same area.

Hope this helps and good luck!

firesweepranch

MO Clubby guy is correct. We have both, ties outs along rails (no shade for the most part) or you can park your trailer near a tree and get shade. We (MO) are providing the first bedding, but I am not sure if that applies when you tie at your trailer (different location). The earlier you get there, the better the spot you get. Since we have over 600 head registered, there should be plenty of space (our state fair is much bigger!).
In the barns you will be bed in sand (I know, yuck!). No other bedding is permitted, period! That is state fair rules. We were just up there a few weeks ago for our Cattlemens Junior show, and the sand was good and clean (can get pretty dirty some years).
If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask! We are excited to be hosting the Nationals this year, and have a ton of fun stuff planned for everyone. Lots of free food and fun games, along with some friendly competition  ;D

kanshow

I'm assuming the tie out bedding is straw?  If so, will there be more available for purchase during the week?  Will canopies be allowed in the tie outs?   

fieldscattle

Jennie Owen told me that cattle could NOT arrive before Sat. late in the day because the facilities are not rented until Sun.  The last time we had nationals at this location they wanted everyone tied out on the rails.

firesweepranch

Tie our bedding is straw. Canopies are allowed (or have been in the past). The earliest you can arrive is 4PM Saturday, and you will have to be in tie outs for that entire day. No cattle are allowed in the barns until Sunday morning. I will check on if we can tie out to trailers to make sure, and get back to you.

SSIMMENTALS

Thanks so much everyone!! Very Informative. Bedding in sand will definately be a new experience for our girls, but I suppose there's a first time for everything. Firesweep, please let me know what you find out, as we would prefer to tie to the trailer, but wish to be prepared if not. And you will have tie out straw for purchase? Thanks again and we look forward to seeing everyone!!

firesweepranch

OK, Yes the hay barn (feed store on the fairgrounds) will be open, they will have brome, and alfalfa hay, and straw.  They can get MFA, Purina, or Kent feeds, but would like to have the tag from the bag to be sure to get the right one.
I did not get an answer about tying out at trailers (I forgot to ask that one, sorry  ::)), so do not take my solid word on this but at EVERY event we have attended there people have been allowed to tie out at trailers. So unless there is an extra expense for cleaning, I bet we will be able to tie at trailers. I would plan for both, and just hope for the best! There is grass all over, even in the tie out area so either way it is nice for the cattle.
Hope that helps! And remember, we are still selling tickets for the herd in a pen! One ticket gets you two chances to win 5 fall bred heifers. If you want a ticket, please see us! We are the Fire Sweep Simmentals, or Rebekah or Rachel Callison.  We will draw the ticket there the nationals  (clapping)