fair price

Help Support Steer Planet:

CAB

Wondering what all of you think is a fair price either per acre or per head per day price for cornstocks, wheat fields, or whatever is available in your area beings feedstuff prices are so much higher than they have been historically?

Jill

That varies by area, check with your local extension office they will have what the average price is for you part of the country.

common sense

The rule of thumb here is that if you graze or bale a stalk field it will cost about $8.00 per acre to replenish the lost nutrients in the soil. I don't know if that helps you but it gives something to go from.

Joe Boy

Here in north Texas they get 28 to 32 cents per pound gained on steers and heifers.  Many do not want cows on the ground as they pack it and track it up too much.  Wheat prices will limit gaizing this year (over $9 per bu. today) and lack of rain will limit most of it.  My brother lacks several 1000 acres planting yet.  I finished on Monday planting in the clods.

Hope that helps.
preacher

CAB

I was  just curious about the price of afterfeed in other areas. When I was a kid I used to be a scalper. I would buy pairs in the fall out of sale barns when all of the local farmers were harvesting. I could get all of the stalk fields that I needed for fixing fence. That was B4 the invention of roundup, no-till farming, and all of the extension land grant experts were telling everyone that you should not have cows packing your ground. Thing s change. I have been offered stalks for $.35/cow/day, which is cheap enough, but I don't like fencing any better today than 30 years ago. I think that I could get stalk ground rented for $5.00/ acre otherwise. Rule of thumb for stalking rates is 5 acres/cow/month. Common Sense, I think I'll just stop in one day for some of your Torani Raspberry Syrup, whipped cream, with raspberry sprinkles. Keep the cupboard stocked, I'm a very short notice kind of guy. I know that crazy JR. Pauley well. Have you ever heard about him?LOL.

common sense

CAB said:
I was  just curious about the price of afterfeed in other areas. When I was a kid I used to be a scalper. I would buy pairs in the fall out of sale barns when all of the local farmers were harvesting. I could get all of the stalk fields that I needed for fixing fence. That was B4 the invention of roundup, no-till farming, and all of the extension land grant experts were telling everyone that you should not have cows packing your ground. Thing s change. I have been offered stalks for $.35/cow/day, which is cheap enough, but I don't like fencing any better today than 30 years ago. I think that I could get stalk ground rented for $5.00/ acre otherwise. Rule of thumb for stalking rates is 5 acres/cow/month. Common Sense, I think I'll just stop in one day for some of your Torani Raspberry Syrup, whipped cream, with raspberry sprinkles. Keep the cupboard stocked, I'm a very short notice kind of guy. I know that crazy JR. Pauley well. Have you ever heard about him?LOL.

EVERYONE knows JR!  LOL.  You should stop anytime...before dark!!  I am fresh out of raspberry but will put it on the top of my list!!!  I'll give you a tourand you can help shovel snow!!  LOL!

aj

We used to pay .15 aday. Now it is .20 to .50 cents. If the weather gets wet and the ground isn't frozen cattle do compact the ground. If corn hits 4 bucks I don't think people realize how it will affect the livestock industry. It wasn't to long ago 2 $ corn had cost of gains running in the 30 cent range. Now cost of gains running at .72. It has got to affect show feeds also.