Fall calf pics - UPDATE

Help Support Steer Planet:

JoeBnTN

Here's three of our fall calves we've finished weaning.  The bull is a Hillside Leader out of a Muridale Buster daughter.  The two heifers are both Ace of Diamonds.  All three are September - early October.

Attachments

• IMG_3918 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_3918 (800x600).jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_3922 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_3922 (800x600).jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_3926 (800x559).jpg
    IMG_3926 (800x559).jpg
    416 KB · Views: 260

JoeBnTN

Thanks for the comments. 

Ryan, these are Sept - October 2012 calves.

garybob

Ryan, you can evaluate cattle in the same fashion as myself...... whatever that's worth....

Professor Bales, tell your Dad that He's raised another Outstanding Sire Candidate.

GB

JoeBnTN

Was he creep-fed?

GB
[/quote]

Gary,

We try to creep all our calves for 30 days prior to weaning to help them acclimate better.  We use a 12% pellet that seems to work really well and the calves don't stress nearly as bad. 

Joe

kiblercattle

Can't wait should have a couple hillside leaders this fall and a couple more in the spring.

justintime

Joe, the calves look great!  The Hillside Leader bull resembles his sire at the same age. Good bull! I hear Waukaru have a good set of Leader calves this year!

garybob

JoeBnTN said:
linnettejane said:
very nice!!!

Thanks!!  We're very pleased with how he's doing and think he could be a pretty good one!
JoeBnTN said:
Was he creep-fed?

GB

Gary,

We try to creep all our calves for 30 days prior to weaning to help them acclimate better.  We use a 12% pellet that seems to work really well and the calves don't stress nearly as bad. 

Joe
[/quote] No, I meant was he creepfed during the entire 205-day nursing period. Preweaning Regimens that include a short period ofCreep Feeding are not the same as flat-out helping the cow, in order to "fluff" the Performance Figures, or make-up for a low Milk EPD.

GB

JoeBnTN

garybob said:
Thanks!!  We're very pleased with how he's doing and think he could be a pretty good one!
JoeBnTN said:
Was he creep-fed?

GB

Gary,

Joe
[/quote] No, I meant was he creepfed during the entire 205-day nursing period. Preweaning Regimens that include a short period ofCreep Feeding are not the same as flat-out helping the cow, in order to "fluff" the Performance Figures, or make-up for a low Milk EPD.

GB
[/quote]

I agree that there is a wide definition of creep feeding, that's why I try to give details.  The 30-45 day is standard for us, but we've had some years when it was dry that we might do more.  I just prefer to tell you what you're getting.  But as I said, he had a rather short creep feeding period.

JoeBnTN

Thanks everyone for the PM's on the heifer calves.  The roan heifer has been sold.

JoeBnTN

Duncraggan said:
I picked up on this thread fairly late!

That bull calf is a snorter!

Thanks!!  He's continuing to develop quite well and I think he could be a good one.

I sent you a PM.