Fall harvest conditions?

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

What are fall crop conditions like in Iowa and what not. Markets are going crazy. Wet fields? Poor planting conditions.

greenbean

Just plain wet, fields are wet and corn is anywhere from 22-30 percent or higher and test weights are coming in late also.  Poor planting conditions wasn't the issue, planting conditions were excellent when the corn went in.  This however was very north central Iowa and I do know that southern Iowa was wet this spring.  The huge thing with the corn moisture is that there wasn't much heat this summer.  95-105 day corn is all coming in the same.  This is just what's going on in the north central part of the state. 

aj

Thanks. I expected wheat prices to tank but there has been a major bump. Very little corn picked here. Muddy fields.Snow coming in.

RSC

aj said:
Thanks. I expected wheat prices to tank but there has been a major bump. Very little corn picked here. Muddy fields.Snow coming in.
Nasty in Nebraska as well!  I doubt 10-15% of crop is picked yet!

Tony

oakbar

I just  got back from KC and it rained all across Iowa--the weatherman is talking possible floods in central Iowa later tonight.  I would estimate that only 40-50% of the soybeans have been harvested around here.  I've traveled from central WI to Central KS and back the last few days and I'm shocked at how much of the soybean and corn crops are still in the field.  I hope we don't get the snow that is blanketing western NE and WY or the soybeans will probably be flattened.  Worst harvest conditions I've seen in many, many years.

ROAD WARRIOR

2009 has been the year from hell in S E Iowa. The spring was wet and crops were planted late, summer was wet and hay was nearly impossible to put up and fall is more of the same. It looks like we will have to wait for a hard freeze now unless something changes drastically. The ground is at total saturation and the mud is DEEP! RW

dlc

It's 4;30 friday morning and we can't see out of the house. This is the third snow storm in the month of october with at least 6 to 12 inches of snow plus 1to 3 inches of rain in each storm. We live in western Nebraska and have 90% of our fall work yet to do(corn,beans, hay,ship cows home out of the hills). We, like most people in this area ship our cows to the sandhills during the summer and bring them home to cornstalks but that is not going to happen this year. On top of this we had a record year for hail so most everyone replanted so there is hardly any corn, or beans or beets harvested, and most of everyones hay is yet to be put up(most of it around here is sadan grass that we usually bale in Sept). The kids are healthy, the clves are home, and we still have electricity, but we could sure a break. Keep praying and try to smile..

Jill

Around here corn was great and a good percentage got it out of the fields, from what I am hearing beans are another story, it has been wet enough they are molding, pods are splitting and they're on the ground, we would have to have a major dry out for anyone to get wheat in.

KCK

The farmers that use their wheat for dual purposes in Oklahoma are ahead of the curve here. For the most part, they got their wheat in the ground and are seeing green. The folks that double cropped here, corn or beans ahead of wheat, are having a hard time getting crops out to work the ground to put next years wheat in. We have had a ton of rain that have caused some fields to wash out and require replanting. Not good on the bottom line. Also had reports of people waiting for the rain to pass over for a few weeks before they got in the field and worked the ground to kill the volunteer wheat from last years disaster crop. On the plus side.... we sure are getting plenty of moisture for later in the growing season.

ATOZ

Here in South Central Illinois field conditions are extremely wet and raining as we speak. Beans are 1/2 done with yields in the 50 range and very little corn has been harvested. Corn moisture is from 19 to 30 but yields are very good. Looks like a long slow harvest ahead.

Davis Shorthorns

Right now I am trying to build a combine that is crossed with a boat to harvest the beans around where I am at.  Just got another 2+ in last week and with the cool conditions they wont be in the field for another week.  There are alot of people around here that also have givin up on planting wheat. 

kfacres

wet, wet, wet.... almost not real..

needed to get some chopping done-- too wet... ended up having to hook the 4 wheel drive to the chopper just to get through the fields...  Man did we cut ruts!  2 foot deep mostly!  Going to be a mess... Getting some chopping done though!    Never quite had an experience like this. 

I also work at the elevator- not been going real good this year! 

CUTK

Hate to post this on you guys, but up here in northern Minnesota it's not all that bad about 95% of the beans are taking off and all of the beats are harvested.  The only think we have left is corn and sunflowers but were use to taking them off in the snow!!  hahaha

aj

I agreed to help a local farmer with their corn harvest since I didn't have fall crops. He has 4,000 acres of corn(both dryland and irrigated). I knew he was a big farmer but man. He was planning to produce 700,000 bushels of corn this year. 700 semi loads. We've got 1,600 acres done of dryland so far. Dryland here making usually over 100 bu and acre.