False alarm/reading?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

We use the Kamar Tag to detect heats. Today a cow was red. She's not due to come back into heat for another week. No riding, no disscharge, nada from her or the other cows.
How often do you see false readings from the tags? Can the calves break the dye cap by climbing on her? Does the heat affect them?

Thanks as always!

Red

kanshow

We used to use the Kamar detectors.  Like anything,things happen and they can be triggered and give a false reading.    Is this a new batch & possibly faulty?  Seems like sometimes that little tube ruptures easier than others.  We actually had more trouble with them not triggering.  I think they need to be stored in a cool place so maybe hot weather does affect them. 

We started using the Estrus Alert patches several years ago and absolutely LOVE them. 

DL

hey kanshow  (welcome)

I agree with you on the Estrus Alert tags (now called Estrotect - go figure) - I really like them too. Some people complain that they fall off and although I have had that happen on occasion (always seems to be the same cows too) a little KMar glue after your clip the area works wonders. I have patches on cows 60 and 90 days pregnant that have been there since they were bred - they get a little marred up but you can tell from a distance no one has been riding them.

Red - I would bet either the KMar is faulty or old or more likely the cow leaned against a tree, gate, etc - in this hot weather they sprawl in all kinds of funny positions - get the patches - they are fun and they come in many colors! (ps if you ear tag your calves with different colors every year - don't use the same color patches - you get up groggy - scan the field and think everyone was in heat - it's the ear tags!
  ;D

kanshow

Thanks for the Welcome DL!

Like you, I've seen the patches on the bred cows for months.  Some do loose them but not enough to worry over the long haul. 

They are so easy and clean to apply that our kids can do it.    I would not want to know what a 9 & 11 would do with a tube of glue ;D

What we started doing when we synch a bunch heifers is to take a permenant marker & write her tag # on the edge of the patch.  You'd be amazed at how many times we actually see the missing tag on the ground  before we see the heifer it is missing from.  Another thing is that the tag is so easy to just peel off when you are AIing so you know that heifer is done.  You can change colors so you know which cycle which heifer is on so you know with a glance which ones you need to get in and check the status and possibly give the shot to. 

red

wow, I now know what my next buy is going to be! Thanks for the tips.
I know the Kamar tags can be affected by the heat. I've also seen cows swishing their tails at flies & hitting them.

Red