FANCY Angus Heifer For Sale (video added)

Help Support Steer Planet:

crcattleco

We are offering this October 2010 daughter of Payday for sale. She is out of a Leachman Saugahatchee 3000C daughter of EXAR Winnie 3394 (Northern Improvement X WK Winnie 7305). This heifer is nice, don't discount her for the amateur pictures. We are located in Northern Alabama and are asking $5000 for this heifer

ty378

Nice heifer but she has bad legs, you will get no where near 5000 for this heifer

crcattleco

I think her back legs are fine. She can move like a cat. Here is another picture.

Attachments

• WinniePayday.JPG
    WinniePayday.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 86

Cattledog

ty378 said:
Nice heifer but she has bad legs, you will get no where near 5000 for this heifer

What are so bad about her back legs?  At her age she should have a little set in her legs to grow into. 

SFASUshowman

I think she is a nice heifer.  Gonna admit I wouldnt give $5000 for her, but thats because she just isnt what I am looking for.  To someone out there she is definately a $5000 heifer.  Price is very subjective.  It all depends on what group you are marketing one to. As far a her legs. I think she is ok. On the verge of having to much set for me, but at this point I wouldnt really discount her for it. As far as one needing set at this age to grow into.  My experience has been the opposite with set, they ussually get more set with age.  1) As they grow they put more weight on the joints and this added weight generally pushes them down into more set. 2) With advanced age joints naturally get weaker, causing them to have more set.  Personally I am much more leniant on set in an older cow than in a young one.  But again thats my opinion and my experience, other people have different opinions. And those differences in opinions is what keeps our industry diverse and the shows fun. If everyone had the same opinion, then all the cattle would look the same and that just wouldnt be fun.

mlmilloy

I think she is a gorgeous heifer, If we had 5000 we would def buy her for our son to show!

crcattleco

Thanks for the comments. I may be willing to negotiate on her price for a retained future flush or something like that. Her pedigree and EPD profile are pretty unique.

Cattledog

SFASUshowman said:
My experience has been the opposite with set, they ussually get more set with age.  1) As they grow they put more weight on the joints and this added weight generally pushes them down into more set. 2) With advanced age joints naturally get weaker, causing them to have more set.  Personally I am much more leniant on set in an older cow than in a young one.  But again thats my opinion and my experience, other people have different opinions. And those differences in opinions is what keeps our industry diverse and the shows fun. If everyone had the same opinion, then all the cattle would look the same and that just wouldnt be fun.

I agree that leg set gets worse when they get older but I usually see it after a year of age or so.  When they are this young I think they are still changing quite a bit since they are growing rapidly.  Straight legged cattle worry me as they don't get old enough to get too much set.  As an angus breeder ours generally start out with a little bit of set and get better legged with age.  I've got one cow family in particular that worries me every year until their calves get to about 7 or 8 months.  A little bit of hair goes a long way too.  ;D  

I do notice that alot of clubbier made cattle have that really cool rocket leg but I often wonder the longevity of them.  I'm not taking exception to your comment I guess I just see a little more functionality in this heifer down the road.

Back to the heifer in the post....that's a pretty impressive shot from behind!

ty378

What do you mean whats rong with her legs look at them, and I dont agree with sometimes the get better and hair shouldnt hide  that they either have good legs or they dont, that is what is wrong with showing cattle, they should all be honest

crcattleco

ty378: I agree, she has some set to her hock. Do I think it is too much set - No. Too much set is sickle hocked. I think if you go back and review the diagrams in your animal science notes, you will agree that her leg is closer to correct than sickle-hocked.

Attachments

• Payday733-005.jpg
    Payday733-005.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 62

4G Ranch

She looks correct to me as well. I've seen a lot of animals this year with a lot worse problems. But this heifer doesnt have "bad legs". Nice heifer!

crcattleco

Rear view - in case the pdf above doesn't open.

Attachments

• Rear view.JPG
    Rear view.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 46