Fat cattle Top $100

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

From Drovers:
Fed-cattle prices top $100
The Texas Cattle Feeders Association reports that live cattle prices reached $100 per hundredweight in active trading last week. "This week's large trade volume should put the industry in excellent shape going into next week," TCFA market director Jim Gill said on Friday. "With the expected increase in demand associated with the start of grilling season, the next few weeks should be very interesting in the cattle market." So far this week, wholesale beef prices have posted significant gains with Tuesday's average for Choice boxed beef reaching $166.99 per hundredweight, more than $7 over last Friday’s average. As of Tuesday, USDA reports little trade in the fed-cattle market, with steer prices at $101. For market updates from USDA, follow this link.
    Rising cattle prices and recent declines in grain prices have helped cattle feeding margins significantly the past two weeks. The strength in the fed-cattle market also has provided more support to a stocker/feeder market that is experiencing a significant spring rally. According to Drovers' nationwide 50-market auction summary, average prices for yearling steers weighing 700 to 800 pounds have increased nearly $10 per hundredweight since the end of January. — Greg Henderson, Drovers editor

austin

red said:
From Drovers:
Fed-cattle prices top $100
The Texas Cattle Feeders Association reports that live cattle prices reached $100 per hundredweight in active trading last week. "This week's large trade volume should put the industry in excellent shape going into next week," TCFA market director Jim Gill said on Friday. "With the expected increase in demand associated with the start of grilling season, the next few weeks should be very interesting in the cattle market." So far this week, wholesale beef prices have posted significant gains with Tuesday's average for Choice boxed beef reaching $166.99 per hundredweight, more than $7 over last Friday’s average. As of Tuesday, USDA reports little trade in the fed-cattle market, with steer prices at $101. For market updates from USDA, follow this link.
    Rising cattle prices and recent declines in grain prices have helped cattle feeding margins significantly the past two weeks. The strength in the fed-cattle market also has provided more support to a stocker/feeder market that is experiencing a significant spring rally. According to Drovers' nationwide 50-market auction summary, average prices for yearling steers weighing 700 to 800 pounds have increased nearly $10 per hundredweight since the end of January. — Greg Henderson, Drovers editor

That's GREAT.  (clapping)

aj

That is great. Beef demand is strong.However I wonder what calves are going to be worth off the cows this fall because the price of corn is up. I raise corn also so it's hard to argue with good prices for corn but I have heard that cost of gains in the feedlots running at .75$. This has almost doubled since corn has gone up. I think feeders will be paying less for calves. I also have heard that backgrounding cattle may become popular again since this may be a more efficient way to put on gain. If the corn stays high I think earlier maturing cattle may become popular again. 8)

red

AJ- I just watched US Farm report this morning & they're talking about $5 corn being a possibility.
wow! We're like you, raise cattle but also farm 3,500 acres. Mixed blessing sometimes!
So glad you visited us again!
Red

red

you mean like the ratio of farm income to farm expenses?
Oh yes, remember the bubble bursting too!

Red

austin

aj said:
That is great. Beef demand is strong.However I wonder what calves are going to be worth off the cows this fall because the price of corn is up. I raise corn also so it's hard to argue with good prices for corn but I have heard that cost of gains in the feedlots running at .75$. This has almost doubled since corn has gone up. I think feeders will be paying less for calves. I also have heard that backgrounding cattle may become popular again since this may be a more efficient way to put on gain. If the corn stays high I think earlier maturing cattle may become popular again. 8)

Exactly

Up North

Very interesting!  I heard that they thought corn would be back down this fall.  However, up here, we are pushing the line on getting started planting.  It could be an interesting growing season.

aj

If it drys out I think alot of acres of corn willgo in in nw kansas. I've heard stories of people working up winter wheat in order to plant it to corn. If its to wet to plant all the acres may not go in. We just got 5 inches of snow and I haven't seen any planters going yet. The ground temp is really pretty decent here. ;D

red

guys here got on some 82% last week before it started to rain again. We don't have any wheat top-dressed yet but some have mudded it on.

red

Yes, this is the first year we've ever used it. We always used 28%. I'm terrified of 82% have seen to many people hurt, maimed or killed by it. Hubby said it's just more cost effective this year.

Red