father's day

Help Support Steer Planet:

justme

HELP!!!!  What is a good present or thing to do for my husband on father's day???  I think he's sick of embroidered stuff lol.  He's been so wonderful helping the kids and myself get ready for cattle shows and sheep shows, and many times doesn't even get to go, so I want to do something extra special.  Help me out guys!

DL

ELBEE said:
Sears has a lot of cool stuff in their 40th anniversary catalog. ;)

Tools, lots of tools and a steak dinner out, and more tools!

knabe

an autographed copy of  "the hereford in america"
a first edition of the milch cow by guenon
a fenwick fishing rod

a pair of 3 to one pliers from snap on (i highly recommend this one)

eggs soft boiled in the broiler with cream, butter, parmessan cheese, tyme rosemary and sage, a little salt and pepper from ranch raised chickens.

corn maux cheux

i am so into me it's pathetic.

knabe

here's a link to those pliers

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=15559&group_ID=749&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

i found my pair in an old straw/manure haystack all rusty, snapon took them back and got a new pair.  kinda pricey, but i swear by them

Jill

We have money clips may for graduations that would probably work.  We order them from 3B Silversmiths, we put a steer (she can do anything) and the persons initials on them,  something personal and different.
The Missouri Shorthorn Association sold them when the show was in Kansas City and my husband bought one there and has used it ever since.

cowz

How about one of those money clips with a Sears gift card.........Craftsmen tool heaven!!!

bluegrass

Jill, do you have a web site for those money clips? My dad would love one and I would to.           
                    Matt

Show Heifer

When I was in high school and broke, I made my Dad a coupon book. 12 page homemade book.
One coupon was for homemade CC cookies (which I made a lot anyway) . One was for a day without chores (not when he was gone and I HAD to do them). One was for a day trip fishing. One was for a climb up the silo. You get the idea. He loved it. And I enjoyed doing everything I listed!

The other idea: a new pair of boots. A brand that he would consider "too expensive". You know the saying "if the feet aint happy, YOU ain't happy!!"

genes

Jen the boots, or something like a nice coat, sounds like a nice idea.  You know those farm guys like to keep it practical, but that tends to make them leery to spend on themselves sometimes.

justme

well I tried boots and failed today....he wears a size 16 and after 3 western shops I gave up...thanks for your suggestions!

we are pretty close to 3B silversmith Jill your right they do great stuff!

sjcattleco

Since Eric would be hard to fit may I suggest a custom made pair of boots.... I too am hard to fit ..i bought a pair of these sevearl years ago and they are still going strong.... they are made by Whites..... you make a trace of your feet then measure your feet with their directions and you get a pair of boots that fit great and last forever.... Actually they do almost last forever.. If you trash your boots they will totally rebuild them for almost nothing!!! They end up being the best and cheapest boots you ever own!....www.whitesboots.com

knabe

i'm with scott on this recommendation.  i never got these as they were a little heavy for casual. they are the original packers that all the boot companies copied.  they also make the boot the smoke jumpers made famous.  the ladies, as usual have more color options.

my horse teacher in college wore these, but they are lace ups and don't slip off as required by the liability happy state college system, and along with a few other things, he quit and is at a JC and does other things.  most guys who where these on horses use the wider bottomed stirrups so their feet can't slide forward and get stuck.  still, this required the state to think, so out they go.

http://www.whitesoutdoor.com/store/product.php?category=Boots&id=659
http://www.whitesoutdoor.com/store/product.php?category=Boots&id=696
http://www.whitesoutdoor.com/store/product.php?category=Boots&id=700

sjcattleco

I would get the Rancher boot..... the packers are higher heeled and have a steeper cut... I am tall as well... Not as tall as Eric but close... The Rancher has a shorter squarer heel great to work / walk in and ride if you want but probably a better choice for a tall guy....

Jill

bluegrass said:
Jill, do you have a web site for those money clips? My dad would love one and I would to.             
                    Matt
The phone number is 660-663-3993, the web site is 3bsilversmiths.net-she just made us 6 of them on invoice #7776 if you need a reference, they can make you anything you want and are really reasonable.

Show Heifer

Nice boot selection SJCattle!!! Might have to consider those for myself!! ;D

My Dad always liked Redwing boots when they were made in the USA, but would never buy them cause they "cost to much!"  He also liked Carhartt coats, but again would never buy it for himself. So that what's holidays were for!! (clapping)
I sure miss buying those things. :'(

knabe

My Dad always liked Redwing boots when they were made in the USA, but would never buy them cause they "cost to much!"  He also liked Carhartt coats, but again would never buy it for himself.

I like them and i buy them.  most of the time acquisition cost is the overriding factor used to rationalize purchase rather than cost of ownership.  i have two stinking jackets, one a carhart, the other made in some non-democratic country.  the carhart shows absolutely no signs of wear, the other is worn out.  same with boots, my son purchased some wolverines, and another pair already, my redwings are going strong.  i also like the redwing lace ups with the cement walking bottom.  last forever, literally if you resole them and can keep the manure and urine soaked straw and mud off them.  the reason the threads wear out is that the mud gets in and is basically sandpaper onthe threads over time.  it's kinda like flossing your teeth, take care of them.

i agree with scott about the rancher/roper heel.  that's what i get.  i also like boulet boots, as they are one of the few steel shank leather soled boots left.  made in canada.  justin ropers wear out in about half the time they used to in college.  leather quality is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy down.

one last item about purchasing made in america.  socks made in america last longer.  they use better, longer staple length thread.  again, cost of ownership vs acquisition.

shortyjock89

I agree on the Justin boots.  Dad had pair forever that just would never wear out.  Then when I got my first pair,I wore them out in 6 months.  Maybe I just worked them extra-hard, but all  I know is that they don't last as long anymore.  Pretty bad, when a boot can go from "naming your first-born son after it"  (yeah, my dad named me Justin, I'm 90% sure it was because of the boots) to wearing out in 6 months. I don't wear boots a whole lot anymore, because they cut up my feet, so old tennis shoes work well for me.