favorite angus bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cowgurl101

Hi! I some cows that need more muscle expression and base width. i want to go angus so i can sell the bull calves purebred @Midland bull test. What bull would you reccomend?

xxcc

for Midland, you may find a niche market with Legend or even Emblazon or any other OCC or DDA style bull.  i like those style bulls, but I don't know if they have enough jam for the market of Midland. I'd think something like 878, New Frontier, Meatpacker, Payweight, TC Freedom, Northern Improvement is what the market demands.

it ALL depends on what type of cows you have.

have you looked at the Midland catalog to see what has been used this year?

shortyjock89

I was going to say Northern Improvement too, but I didn't know how much muscle and base width he would add...he certainly does make nice calves though.

Turkey Creek Ranch

TC Freedom, we have used a Rito 1i2 son with good results this year, Morgans Direction is also another good one that looks very nice, and if you can get it, New Design 1407.

Cowgurl101

xxcc said:
for Midland, you may find a niche market with Legend or even Emblazon or any other OCC or DDA style bull.  i like those style bulls, but I don't know if they have enough jam for the market of Midland. I'd think something like 878, New Frontier, Meatpacker, Payweight, TC Freedom, Northern Improvement is what the market demands.

it ALL depends on what type of cows you have.

have you looked at the Midland catalog to see what has been used this year?

Ive been told Legend, DDA,and OCC bulls are great, but as you said, purebred breeders arent in the market for this type of bull. Im kind of in a tight spot trying to produce show calves(mpstly heifers) as well bulls that will perform on test. What im doing now is breeding some to clubbie bulls to get my show calves, and breeding my other cows purebred for marketable,growthy bulls and replacement females. I am thinking about New Frontier - his epds and phenotype are pretty balanced.  Its so hard to breed for a marketable product ( these days people want the big framed, good-on-paper kind) as well as a well muscled, square, thick topped calf that looks good in the pasture and on paper.I have a danny boy heifer that needs a better front and a tad more frame, a Retail Product cow that is vey deep and good fronted, but her last two calves have lacked in their top and hindquarter( this is where i really need a muscle bull), and a Right Time 24J cow that is very small( her two calves needed more frame , growth, and musce) but good fronted.  I am considering BT Crossover, New Frontier, Grid Topper, and SAV Mandan as well as a couple other bulls. I will be going to Midland and plan on seeing lots of bulls there. Any suggestions would be awesome- id consider anything!!

shortyjock89

I saw that you mentioned Gridtopper.  I'm not an Angus expert, but I saw quite a few of his progeny this fall, bulls and heifers, and as a group, they were really good.  There were bulls that would go on to be great herd sires, heifers that are gonna light the show circuit on fire this summer, and quite a number of heifers that look like they will be fantastic cows.  I would like to know more about this bull, and once I know more, I could probably endorse him lol.

Turkey Creek Ranch

also, Mytty In Focus would be one too try.

Dont hold me to this, but from what people around here have used of Duff bulls, they are pumpkins. If you are looking to appeal to a purebred angus herd, i would stay away form these bulls. It is nothing at all against that program, they are just a different "type" of cattle. Just my opinion

Show Dad

At recent sales the In Focus calves have been bringing more than the Direction calves.  But my choice for bull calves is Connealy Packer and Stevenson Silveraod. Lots of muscle and capacity pushing down the flank finishing out with a wide based. JMHO.

Turkey Creek Ranch

As i was reviewing my Connealy catalog...i see a couple more good bulls....SAV Net Worth, HA Power Alliance, Gambles Hot Rod, and KMK Alliance 6595.

KMK Alliance sired the top selling bull in the sale at 100,000 to ABS. He was the only son that sold.
Net Worth's calves sold very well, and looked very nice, we are using him next year on our heifers.
HA Power Alliance calves sold about average, they looked ok, and had a nice rear on them.
Gambles Hot Rods' calves sold decent also, they were a clubbier looking type of bull, aimed more for the show ring than production #'s.

These are just a few that i spotted in that sale. I think KMK Alliance and Net Worth would be the best choices out of that group to breed too.

Congrats on Connealy for another OUTSTANDING sale  (clapping)  (clapping)  (clapping)

RSC

SD said:
At recent sales the In Focus calves have been bringing more than the Direction calves.  But my choice for bull calves is Connealy Packer and Stevenson Silveraod. Lots of muscle and capacity pushing down the flank finishing out with a wide based. JMHO.
In 2002 & 03 we had 1 bull finish in the top 15 of the Midland test each year.  One was sired by a Sitz Bull(124 X 1137) and the other was out of Connealy Freightliner.  I see some Freightliner still being used or another Connealy bull may work well as well.  The dam of the Frieghtliner bull was a Bando 598 daughter.

RSC

Turkey Creek Ranch

Sitz Alliance was a very nice bull, we used him a year or two ago, some great calves outa him. In general though, any TC, or Connealy bull would be a good bet. Those are 2 of the top programs in the country. We have been fortunate enough to use their genetics, and they are well worth every penny.

Chap

SAV Net Worth, Traveler 004 and Final Answer have been getting some great press lately.  Seem to be the hot list recently.

RSC

A bull that seems to be raising just what your looking for from a great program is TC Grid Iron.

RSC

BRdoc

I personally like Mytty In Focus. He will add some depth, expression, and thickness. The cool thing is that you can get sexed semen on him through ABS. I haven't had a dud calf out of Focus yet. He is my replacement female factory. Good Luck

kanshow

I've seen some good cattle from Mytty In Focus, TC Freedom, Retail Product, OCC Emblazon.  I happen to like the Emblazon's the best, JMO though. 

savaged

Turkey Creek,

I've been looking at some of the Duff bulls, and they appear to have a lot of mass and even good hair for angus.  I'm looking to breed some of my cross cows and limi cows to First Look, New Attraction, New Addition.

What did you mean by the calves being "pumpkins?"

Thanks

RSC

savaged said:
Turkey Creek,

I've been looking at some of the Duff bulls, and they appear to have a lot of mass and even good hair for angus.  I'm looking to breed some of my cross cows and limi cows to First Look, New Attraction, New Addition.

What did you mean by the calves being "pumpkins?"

Thanks
I love my New Eddition calves.  Yes they are a not the typical Angus breed type.  They are moderate with a big hip and easy doing.  Call me Mr. Halloween I guess, I love my Pumpkins. (thumbsup)  I have been breeding Angus cattle for sometime and I personally believe chasing the Numbers Game has been great for the breed but has also brought us cattle with more frame and less muscle.  The Duff cattle have done well for me. 

RSC

SDCC

BRdoc said:
I personally like Mytty In Focus. He will add some depth, expression, and thickness. The cool thing is that you can get sexed semen on him through ABS. I haven't had a dud calf out of Focus yet. He is my replacement female factory. Good Luck

I would be interested in knowing conception rates on the sexed Mytty In Focus semen. ABS puts it up at 2.2 million my repo expert tells me that's pretty "thin".  I'd love to hear form anyone who has tried it.

We have had some nice, stout calves from Buffalo's Conclusive. But you want to breed him to very deep cows or the calves will cut up in the flank like he does.  We used TC Gridtopper as well and they were just alright. Also used War Cowboy Up I like them alot better as yearlings than I did as calves. So far the best calves we have raised have been sired by BR Midland.