Favorite Horse Breeds

Help Support Steer Planet:

farmboy

BESIDES THE GOOD OL' WALKING HORSE AND AN AMERICAN SATTLEBRED, I LIKE THE FRESIANS AND PAINTS
WHATS SOME OF YOUR FAVS :)

red

Farmboy- got to get you a spellcheck!
also take the caps lock off your setting, you're shouting!

Red

OH Breeder

In my younger days I use to ride English, Dressage and Jump. I am partial to the Thoroughbred. the Warm Bloods and Arabians. I started out on an Polish Arabian who had the best tempermant a horse could have. He taught me so much. At 22 yrs. of age he rode like a teenager.

genes

Quarter Horsies and Paints.  I like big butts ;D and I also like their temperaments.    I guess I like Appies too, just haven't done much with them.
Mmmmm butts.
DSCN0564-1.jpg

shorthorns r us

you may call me unamerican; but, i hate 'em all. don't like to ride, don't like to look, they are nosey and they are always in the way. with that on the table, i may start riding one around if gas prices don't decrease.  my dad trains reiners and i have been on some good ones; still don't like 'em.

afhm

Quarter Horses, Paint Horses, then the "Grade" horse,and finally the Shetland Ponies ( almost everybody has had one of those).

genes

Sure everybody had one, but weren't they mostly evil little things  ;D

ROAD WARRIOR

My theory on shetland ponies for kids is that if a kid can master one of them then they can ride any horse out there. I started out on one a long time ago and have been breaking horses every since. But that was alot easier 20 years ago than it is now.

DL

As a kid I was a fairly fearless rider - would ride anything and would jump anything - did some showing and my favorite class was knock-down and out. Didn't have great form but could get an awful lot out of a horse. My horse was an Arab x Thoroughbred that we broke and trained - but I rode (yes the dreaded Shetland Pony), track horsees, hunters, jumpers, etc mostly at the time in the dark ages of horse Thoroughbreds.

Current horse - very talented Appy - does barrels, works cows, has been both a header and a heeler, but his best attributes are he is kind, he is forgiving, he likes cows (good thing  he lives with them), he doesn't mind being an only horse and he is a "Watch horse" - I have seen him gather the calves when a stray dog is roaming down the road.....he jumps too - but I don't anymore! I ride some other horses on occasion - mostly Arabs and I find that even the really talented ones are a little hotter than what I could live with (but fun to ride)  ;D

ROAD WARRIOR

DL - Isn't it amazing how some of the things that were fun 20 some odd years ago, just plain hurt any more. I used to love the challenge of an "out law" , but now I look for the ones that are good bred horses with a naturaly good disposition. I just don't bounce like I used to and I run out of air a lot quicker.

DL

ROAD WARRIOR said:
DL - Isn't it amazing how some of the things that were fun 20 some odd years ago, just plain hurt any more. I used to love the challenge of an "out law" , but now I look for the ones that are good bred horses with a naturally good disposition. I just don't bounce like I used to and I run out of air a lot quicker.

RW -Absolutely! My sister who is a very accomplished horse woman helped me find this horse - I had a feeling he was the one so we took the stock trailer. The owner road him and he was fine - then sister got on him and tried to pi** him off - she couldn't, figured he would be AOK for me (she doesn't want me to die in a horse accident - she doesn't do cows  ;D) The only horses I do any vet work on are therapeutic riding horses owned by a friend - any allusion I had of being able to tame the wild beast is gone - give me sane, good minded, stable of any species (a little rain would hurt either)

garybob

Horses are like cow dogs. Good ones are invaluable assets, the bad ones are worthless property. That being said, also, any horse that doesn't colic or bite, and, is good to kids. Growing up, we had a mare that did what DL's App does. It was amazing. She didn't mind the baby calves nudging her in the pasture. Rare, in my opinion, for a "retired" feedlot horse. We lost her, two cows, and 8 calves in a lightning strike. Sad day.

Never owned one since.

sjcattleco

Mine would have to be foundation QH!!  Any color other than bay! but of course its hard to beat a good yellow horse!

Attachments

• Jesse2.jpg
    Jesse2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 238