Favorite Kind of Bird Dog N/C related

Help Support Steer Planet:

Gary

If i got another bird dog i would go back to the springer spaniel but the turkeys have all but ran the phesants out of my neighbor hood,guess i need a turkey dog.

ROAD WARRIOR

Gary said:
If i got another bird dog i would go back to the springer spaniel but the turkeys have all but ran the phesants out of my neighbor hood,guess i need a turkey dog.

We had the same problem, when the turkeys showed up - the pheasants and quail vanished. Now we have a growing bobcat population and the turkeys are on the decline. I have noticed a few more quail lately though  (clapping). It's a cycle - turkeys eat upland bird eggs and young and bobcats eat turkeys. RW

Gary

Yep,cats are coming now  but will we ever get our pheasants back ?
Guess i shouldnt complain ,they could of re-interduced Wolves.
Maybe they are coming to, after they eat all the Elk and Mule deer.

Davis Shorthorns

ROAD WARRIOR said:
Gary said:

We had the same problem, when the turkeys showed up - the pheasants and quail vanished. Now we have a growing bobcat population and the turkeys are on the decline. I have noticed a few more quail lately though  (clapping). It's a cycle - turkeys eat upland bird eggs and young and bobcats eat turkeys. RW

They have done studies on whether turkeys eat young quail and the eggs, and the only time that a turkey killed a baby quail or destroyed a egg is when they accidently steeped on them.  Now, I believe that the largest reason that quail decline when a large amount of turkeys show up is that they are competing for the same food stuffs.  Also the bobcats will eat the heck out of quail if when they get a hold of one.  Probably the largest threat to quail populations is either no buffer strips in fields and large trees in the hedge rows.  Large trees in the hedge rows let in less amounts of light causing less undergrowth, the quail have to run from one small group of cover to another and the hawks and owls that live in the trees can see them alot better and also they cant hide from predators on the ground. 

husker1

Best Pheasant dog we ever had was a German Shorthair.....He was better than Gold!

kanshow

I'd think it would make a big difference on what kind of dog you can tolerate living with the rest of the year.    Some good friends of ours have Shorthairs and their dogs are great dogs - both as family pets, hunting dogs, and even as show dogs  but there have been two different shorthairs in my kid's 4H dog program that are insane. 

jackpotcattle

English Sheppard work cattle all morning and they will be in there helping and then grab a gun and they will flush and retreive. Mine would much rather hunt then chase cows, but he does both.

mykidsluvshorthorns

If you want a very loyal family dog and great hunter then english setters if you can stand the hair and all the burrs. I have owned raised and trained English pointers for 10 years and the easiest to train and get them to hunt close in brush are the Elhew line.

clubcalve

I don't know this for sure but I have heard that brittanys are very hyper is that true ???

AAOK

clubcalve said:
I don't know this for sure but I have heard that brittanys are very hyper is that true ???

All good hunting dogs are hyper-active.  Otherwise, they wouldn't be worth feeding.

ROAD WARRIOR

Davis Shorthorns said:
ROAD WARRIOR said:
Gary said:

They have done studies on whether turkeys eat young quail and the eggs, and the only time that a turkey killed a baby quail or destroyed a egg is when they accidently steeped on them.  Now, I believe that the largest reason that quail decline when a large amount of turkeys show up is that they are competing for the same food stuffs.  Also the bobcats will eat the heck out of quail if when they get a hold of one.  Probably the largest threat to quail populations is either no buffer strips in fields and large trees in the hedge rows.  Large trees in the hedge rows let in less amounts of light causing less undergrowth, the quail have to run from one small group of cover to another and the hawks and owls that live in the trees can see them alot better and also they cant hide from predators on the ground. 

I guess our turkeys didn't read the survey results. I have actually witnessed turkeys catching and eating baby quail as if they were grasshoppers. We have tons of ideal quail habitat and until the turkey population started to decline, we had virtually no quail. Nothing scientific involved here just real world observations by someone that logs alot of hours out amongst them. RW

Latest posts