Feed Consumption

Help Support Steer Planet:

pjkjr4

I am having a finisher ration made by a local grain company that we use year-around for my kids show steers. Right now it is costing me $440.00/ton bagged. I add Essential Beef Designer to it for 1/2 pound per calf per day. I was talking to a Purina rep about a month ago who was telling me that although I would be paying $560/ton retail, that a calf could eat 1/2-1% less, and not have to add the mineral from Essential, because it has basically the same minerals in it as what I'm adding. Would that be a true statement, or (in your opinion) is he just feeding me a line to try and get me to switch. If it's true, there would hardly be any difference in price. Also the ration that I'm having made has the corn rolled, and the Show Chow has steam-flaked corn. Don't know if there's any difference there. Opinions please

rackranch

Did he mean they would eat 1% less or they would get 1% higher conversions for the same amount of intake?  I can see a rep saying that your conversions would be better but you and I both know it is hard to determine how much a steer will eat on any given day. Especially when reaching their end point.  JMO

pjkjr4

Sorry, I should have stated that better. The conversion would be better, which means less feed per pound of gain, which is what we all want. But, I also think it's much cheaper to push one, than hold him, but that's another subject.

Has anyone on here fed something else, and then switched to show chow? I'm not completely convinced, but I'm leaning towards changing when we get our next set this spring.

BBP

If it ain't broke don't fix it! is the saying but I'm always willing to try new things! If you don't think it works you can always go back to your old feed!

vc

How much does the mineral cost you a day? You are looking at a 1.50 dollar a day between the 2 feeds. We fed the Honors feed from Purina and liked it allot, but switched back to the feed we used prior to the Honors because of price, 18.00 dollars a bag was just not going to work. If the mineral is costing you 1.50 or more a day it might be wise to change if the chow is better in nutrition than your current mix.

RankeCattleCo

vc said:
because of price, 18.00 dollars a bag was just not going to work. ]

Holy christmas, we mix a homemade ration with shell corn, cob corn, CGF pellets, 37% heif pellets, beet pulp and Propell Pellets (Fat nuggets) for under $415 a ton...

pjkjr4

The Essential mineral is basically $1.00/pound. I feed 1/2 pound per head/day.

pjkjr4

AAOK, after looking at that link (thank you by the way), that has basically the same chelated minerals that the Essential Beef Designer does. The reason I have been going with Essential, is I have a local dealer for them, where as Moorman's; I would have to drive several miles to get that product, not to mention the 1 1/2 hour round trip I'm going to get my feed made up. It really stinks when you think of places that far away as "local".

AAOK said:
Get a sack of Moormans Beef Cattle Range mineral, and top dress each calf 2oz. per feeding.  Here is how it works http://www.admani.com/Beef/Products/Beef%20MoorMans%20Minerals%20with%20vitamins.htm

brs5

I am also thinking about switching feed. Now I am feeding a basic corn gluten(pellets) protein mixed ration. I would switch to Honor Show Chow, but i still want to use my mix mill. What does everyone think about the Grand 4 t-fyer base mix and what all do you add to it? I live in Iowa, for an idea on ingredients.

chambero

I love Purina feed, but in no way is close to as cheap as having your own made.  Do you get yours made at the big mill in the middle of Stillwater?  If so, that's where Griswold gets his made.  He uses cracked corn also.  I used to worry about cracked vs steam rolled till he talked to me about it.

pjkjr4

No, I haven't had any made down there. For the last 3 years, I've used Two Rivers Co-op out of Arkansas City, KS.

chambero said:
I love Purina feed, but in no way is close to as cheap as having your own made.  Do you get yours made at the big mill in the middle of Stillwater?  If so, that's where Griswold gets his made.  He uses cracked corn also.  I used to worry about cracked vs steam rolled till he talked to me about it.

OKshorthorn

Express Ranches has a ration out that we have used for the past 2 years and really like it. We have been using their heifer ration and Wheeler Bros mixes it for us, i'm not sure about their steer deal but the heifer one is awesome.

pjkjr4

Not a better place to be on game day!! <rock>
The good thing about having my own made, is that I know it's fresh. But, with Purina, the dealer that I've been talking to said that he tries to order once or twice a month, and then goes to the mill in OKC, and picks it up there. I would think that would be just as fresh. They don't have very much warehouse space at all.

chambero said:
Sorry i was thinkIng you were from Stillwater.

Latest posts