Feed for Heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bryan 72

As i posted below first year showing. I bought this broke, 900 pd Angus Heifer, The guy i bought her from said she was getting 12 pounds morning and 12 lbs at night, with free choice of grassy mixed hay. Her current ration is 50% cracked corn, 50% oats, and a all natural protien. I have a purina dealer 20 mins away. I was going to have them start me on a program....BUT after reading a post below it seems alot of "show" families dont like there feed??? I have my own feed grinder (with screens) but its hard to grind for 1 heifer. It would get "stale" by the time she would eat 1 ton mix.. So i need some direction on what to do on feeding her. She looks great, but im not wanting her to go backwards, so i need to get something going soon... ???.... ???

shortyjock89

Purina is a quality feed, I wouldn't hesitate to put her on it.  Talk with the dealer and see what feed he would suggest.

cowsnsows

It depends what your intentions are for her. If she's a market heifer, I'd say put her on a finisher ration. If she is going to be shown as a breeding heifer and possibly retained for a cow, I'd say you probably want to dial the corn down somewhat, because you don't want her to get too fat. You want to develop lean tissue so I would put her on a "developer" ration and let her have all the hay she wants (or you can afford). JMO. I agree, nothing wrong with Purina, it's been a while since I've fed it but it's mainly just due to availability. I have probably had the best luck on heifers using Acco's Developer, but have used several different brands. Good Luck!

Bryan 72

She will be a breeding heifer. If i could find out on here how to post pics i would show a pic or two.

paj315

Personally , if you can find an Umbarger dealer close they have a really good heifer ration . It has enough corn in it to make em grow but also a good mix of oats and their "secret" ingredient Spelts. They are supposed to help fill them out and really add depth. If you can't get that I'm sure your local feed mil could mix you up a ration. Probably one of the biggest things feeding a heifer is to them with as much depth as possible. Purina makes a product called Depth Charge that will help with this or the old stand by is mix beet pulp in to her feed.