Feed Prices

Help Support Steer Planet:

steermaker

Just curious how much everyone is seeing the price of their feed go up.  We have a local mill custom mix a ration for our show calves that is now costing ~$19/cwt.  We have always thought it would be cheaper to use our own ration, but am beginning to wonder if we wouldn't be better off to feed Show Chow.  That is about the only premixed show feed available in our area.  Between the cost of diesel fuel and grain, it might be best to just turn the calves out!!  That will never happen because the family enjoys getting the calves ready and then showing too much.

SKF

We pay $11.50 for a bag of showmaster and the show show is $12.45 a bag.  About 7yrs ago we use to own a feed store and both purina and nutrena were about $7.00 a bag. I don't think I will ever see those prices again. 

Jill

We have a replica of show chow last delivery was 380/ton on a 3 ton delivery.  I know the local feed store said that showmaster is going to 500/ton, when corn, fuel and everything else go up, feed always follows except market and it is going down.

Jill

We do have a 14% pelleted feed we feed to everything but show calves and it is 202.14 per ton on a 3 ton delivery.

Rocky Hill Simmental

We used to just buy the special mix from Co-op and it's getting really expensive (over $6 for a 50 lb bag). So this week we got special blend (like the other but without molasses) and it was a dollar cheaper per bag (a little more than $5 for lbs).

We used to buy range cubes for the cattle in the field but range cubes started costing a penny more than regular special mix and it has no corn in it.

Hay is getting real hard to find too.

chambero

We pay $260 a ton for our show calf feed (a grower ration).  It is a 12% protein, 3.5% fat, 16% fiber ration that is about 27% cottonseed hulls, 18% milo, 15% corn, 15% oats, & 13% cottonseed meal.  I guess the relatively low amount of corn may be keeping our prices down.  We add straight steam rolled corn to it for our finisher ration.

What kind of rations are you folks using for creep feed for show calves (% protein, % fat, % fiber)?  I still don't have that right.  We just don't get our babies fat enough quick enough to really sell this time of year.

dutch pride

Doc said:
I pay $170/ton delivered, for a 14% medicated feed(loose). Buy 3 ton at a time.

Doc; sounds too good to be true. Can you PM me with your ration? I pay about $260 per ton pick up in bags at local co-op.

DLZ

OH Breeder

I pay $315/ton for show feed. Prebagged. My mixed feed for cows is $335/ton. I buying show feed every 14 days. Same with cow feed. Alternating weeks buy cow feed.

BCCC

OH Breeder said:
I pay $315/ton for show feed. Prebagged. My mixed feed for cows is $335/ton. I buying show feed every 14 days. Same with cow feed. Alternating weeks buy cow feed.
Just wondering why is your cow feed more then your show feed??

OH Breeder

BCCC said:
OH Breeder said:
Dealer for show feed gives me discount for bulk purchases. Feed mill doesn't. They charge full market price.

showgirl2010

We mix our own feed and last wed. we mixed it for 230 i believe.  That is using the cheapest possible alternates.  And  the protein is about 13 give or take 1%.

Jamie

ROAD WARRIOR

OH Breeder said:
BCCC said:
OH Breeder said:
Dealer for show feed gives me discount for bulk purchases. Feed mill doesn't. They charge full market price.

I think I might feed my cows show feed. RW

Latest posts