Feed Recommendation

Help Support Steer Planet:

steerbuff

We are only feeding 1 steer next year. Usually we mix our own custom ration, but the mill requires a 1 ton minimum which would probably not stay fresh long enough since we are only feeding 1 steer.  Therefore, we are going to feed a commercial ration.  Which one is the best and most affordable? I like a ration that is fluffy with cotton seed hulls.

showsteerdlux

Where are you located? Lots of different options, but it all depends on this.

Also, I realize it is cheaper to feed 1 calf, but I really think you would be better off feeding 2. You can still seperate them and feed one calf something cheap, then sell him for beef after your fair, but I really believe in feeding pairs of any species.

steerbuff

showsteernc said:
Where are you located? Lots of different options, but it all depends on this.

Also, I realize it is cheaper to feed 1 calf, but I really think you would be better off feeding 2. You can still seperate them and feed one calf something cheap, then sell him for beef after your fair, but I really believe in feeding pairs of any species.
[We are located in South Texas.  Good idea about feeding 2.  Thought about pulling a gentle pasture calf to feed along side./quote]

paj315

Umbargers is the way to go if you can get it. They have several different rations depending on what you are wanting. We use their Primer Plus 13 its a good base ration and runs us about $12 a bag. They also have a breeder grower, barley based, and finisher rations. For our heifers they have a new feed they just came out with this past fall. I've heard the Purina feeds are pretty good but around here start around $15 a bag.

ploughshare

Good advice, but I would recommend that you get another steer or heifer and feed as a pair.

obie105

I thought the same thing last year. I quit my tried and true to try a bagged feed. It didnt work for me. The gain went down and I didnt have the look I wanted in the end. I went back to the tried and true. Get a second calf they feed better in pairs and use the regular feed.

PinkOil Princess

I have had success with the showmaster feeds. Apparently it is just super expensive where I am (California) but I hear it's fairly cheap everywhere else. Good luck

Limiman12

Instead of buying premixed bags of feed, can you buy the components in separate bags?  The last couple years we fed we ground our own ear corn (yes we still have a corn picker around <rock>) but then mixed in beet pulp, Cotten seedhulls and flax seed or whatever it was...  If you have to buy it for the feed mill as ton at a time can you buy the base by the ton then buy the other in bags and mix it in?

Mainevent

I'm not sure where at in South Texas but I would look into Bryant Grain, we feed everything the finisher, calves grow well on it and seem to love the feed. Most consistent eating I have seen with any feed.

GoWyo

This year we have mixed all our own feed.  I get 1200# totes of 50 corn:25 barley:25 oats (all cracked) and then mix in ½ lb. Sure Champ, cottonseed hulls, rumensin pellets and about half a cup of 50:50 molasses/soybean oil per head.  Found a paint mixer attachment for the drill down at the hardware store and mixes great if you keep don't mix more than about 10 lbs. at a time in the bucket.  Set up 3 buckets for three head and mix each one.  Steers have gained well over 3 lbs a day on this ration.