Feed storage

Help Support Steer Planet:

RedWagon

Just curious what everyone uses for storing their grain.  We have 6 head 3 steers and 3 heifers.  Different grain rations for each.  Spouse thinks that the cattle stuff is crowding the horse stuff in the barn.  Have been getting bagged feed but as the calves get bigger the number of bags needed for a month of feed is going to make the problem worse.  Do you use totes, bulk bins etc.????

rocknmranch

We have a 5ton silo that most of the time we get it delivered full. However, with these economic times, we have resorted to using large 1k totes. 2 totes will fit in the back of our shortbed chevy when we pick it up. We pay roughly $350 a ton for steer feed right now, and it has gone down since last year.

jbzdad

I am really blessed in this regard, was able to buy an old truck frame trailer with two old grain hoppers welded to it , they have doors welded to them to allow the grain to flow out one side... just put a bucket down and let it flow out... the tops we built for the bins leaked a little so we built a barn to pull it into... the hoppers hold about 1750 lbs apiece... I am always careful to empty the back one first... you will see these type trailers around I think they are the way to go.... our coop will deliver for 25 bucks ... I just pull the empty cart to a spot for the truck. Then pull it back in the barn

Cowfarmer65

3060 South McNaughton Rd. Douglas, ON. Can.
We've been getting our ration in totes. That is changing shortly. While at Agribition one booth that intrigued me was for hoppers that flow down into an are at the bottom with a flip up lid to pail out grain. As my wife is feeding the grain and constantly increasing the volume she's getting sick of carrying the pails any distance. The grain storage tank we are looking at can be placed right next to the feed panels and is weather and rodent sealed. Don't have the phone # with me at work but the gentlemans name that manufactures them is Ray Herbert. He is based in Neilburg, Sk, Canada and he will and has shipped some of these to customers in the U.S and Eastern Canada. He makes other unique grain feeding equipment as well.

Alscows

For small amounts use 55 gal drums, rinsed good, they are free from our local co-op. each drum can hold about 500#, we put wood panels on top to keep out the birds and barn cats.  We also bought a 3 ton bin for around $1200.  Use it for bred heifer feed has boot at the bottom to fill buckets.

justme

We use the 55 gal. steel drums, our corn is in an old dump wagon with a tarp, and we have creep in a small feed bin.  The drums are great for our show rations

JWW

old gravity wagon put in a corner of the shed, get it filled by the coop truck (for mixed rations) or by one of our auger wagons (for corn). works great
usually can find a cheap one on old farm sales

JWW

kanshow

We use 55 gal barrels too, although I thought they only hold about 250#.    We also have corn in bin.    Got a couple overhead bulk bins from a pig farm that we need to go pick up & get set up. 

Reinken Cattle Co.

My kent feed dealer gets it delivered bulk to him puts it in bulk seed boxes I take mineral tubs up and can get 150lbs in each tub. We have a bulk bin but almost as easy to just get it this way.

glitter6m

We use the 55 gallon barrels for the goat feed. Two barrels will hold 500#'s, which we go through in under 3 weeks. They have lids. The cattle feed goes in a large or a small water tank that we don't need for water. We have boards as lids to keep everything out. Works well for us.