feed

Help Support Steer Planet:

KDSC

OK we have been feeding a custom feed from sunglo that is 14% protein and 4% fat, but we are trying to decide what we want to feed.
here are a couple rations  i have tried or want to try.
Ration #1
1200 lbs. cracked corn
400 lbs. cotton seed hulls
200 lbs. steam rolled oats
100 lbs. soy bean meal
100 lbs. molasses
with top dress minreal

Ration #2
25 # cattle mineral
300# oats
900# corn
300 # cottonseed hulls
200 # soybean meal
200 # mollasses
150 # alfalfa pellets
and the appropriate amount of Aureomycin per ton

Ration #3
theres another one but i cant find it yet i will post it when i find it

And then also a creep feed ration that i was wondering if it would work

1400# Corn
200# Cottonseed meal
200# Cottonseed hulls
200# Molasses
22.7 mg of decoquinate

KDSC

ok this is the other one, that we had made, i have all the info on it if you want it, it is a very very cheap ration it's $89.29 a ton
584# ground milo
429# Corn Silage
369# Corn Stover
368# Alfalfa hay
250# of a mineral/ med.s pellet that we have made up

AAOK

#1 looks mighty familiar to me.  I should point out this is a finishing ration, and if fed to small framed cattle won't do anything for growth.  The mineral top dressed MUST be a quality mineral, and I like for it to contain Chlortetracycline also.

showsteerdlux

I like the first one well looks like its pretty balanced and such. I really like the ration that is in the $90 per ton range looks like it would be a good option for either brood cows or feeders. If you don't mind me asking what are the protein, energy, etc.. levels on that mix. I wish we had access to those things but about the only thing we can get ahold of down here is the alfalfa hay which is about $300/ ton and sometimes stover. On the creep ration I would maybe consider replacing some of that corn with rolled oats because you would probably want the calves to be higher on protein than on energy. Just an idea take it if you want throw it out if you want. But the first two rations along with the cheap one look real good.

KDSC

creep ration
1000# Corn
600# Cottonseed meal
200# Cottonseed hulls
200# Molasses
22.7 mg of deco quinate

OK the $90 ration is one we had formulated for our feeder cattle and our cows. But right now i am feeding it and then sunglo feed. About a 2: 0.5  which is 2 buckets  $90 ration to 1/2 bucket sunglo, feed. and i can put about 100 lbs a month, on the show heifers, and have them gaining, 2.8-3.8, so I am satisfied with, we just started the steers on it but their not getting the sunglo feed, so we will see how they do on it (cow)

OK it is
9.764% protein,
2.202% fat
and then with the pellet we have made up it is
12.832% protein
2.894% fat

if you have any questions on it just ask if i don't know i will ask our nutritionist

showsteerdlux

Better on the creep that cotton seed meal should up the protein some. I would still consider oats if at all possible. Seems they usually do better with some oats in the ration especially when they are young like that and just starting on creep.

KDSC

oh crap i must of accidently deleted it when i was changing the amount :)))

1000# Corn
600# Cottonseed meal
200# Cottonseed hulls
200# Molasses
22.7 mg of decoquinate

showsteerdlux

How much is the cost on you creep and what is the analysis on it for protein, energy, etc...? What is the cost on the feed you first listed?

KDSC

the first is like 250 a ton, the creep is i have no idea ,i havent ever feed it, and do not have nay show calves to feed it to yet, we will have to wait till this spring

showsteerdlux

Boy you lucky to have grain at that price. Our ok show feed ran 295 last time we bough it which was in October. the good show feed which I prefer is now at $410/ton(Umbargers) so needless to say we backed off of feeding that one.