Feeding Cows Grain

Help Support Steer Planet:

herefordfootball

I was wondering how much if any grain do people feed their cows while pregnant? I've heard a lot of people say they shouldnt get any and some people say you should feed them some, but not much. We have five head on half a bucket and I thought this sounded like a lot for five head. Please tell me what your experiences are and how you handle feeding pregnant cows. Thanks!

steelroom

herefordfootball said:
I was wondering how much if any grain do people feed their cows while pregnant? I've heard a lot of people say they shouldnt get any and some people say you should feed them some, but not much. We have five head on half a bucket and I thought this sounded like a lot for five head. Please tell me what your experiences are and how you handle feeding pregnant cows. Thanks!
What type of grain and how many pounds is a half a pail?

BrechtCattleCo

The only reason I would feed cows grain is if I have to mix my mineral supplament in with it. But now im feeding out of a tub so I dont feed grain. Unless they are thin I would stop feeding grain, the cows will holler at you for a while because there used to grain but theyll get over it.

MYT Farms

My half bucket is probably bigger than your half bucket. Pounds and using a scale are a must. In my personal opinion, feeding cows while pregnant or when trying to breed them back is just not worth it. One of my best cows (of course) missed because I was graining her too hard over the summer for show. Bred back two years in a row on time just being on grass and mineral.

CAB

Herefordfootball That is going to be in the neighborhood of 3 lbs per head per day. That's not going to hurt a thing.

herefordfootball

Our half a pail weighs approximately 9 lbs. They get a round bail of grass/alfalfa hay. We mix vitaferm in the feed. I've been told no feed at all and told they need feed to keep things moving digestively and to make some milk. Thanks everyone for the advice, I appreciate it!

And yes they are a little on the thin side.

The grain is a cracked corn, beef pellet, and oats mix. Its 10.5 percent protein and 3 percent fiber, not a hundred percent sure on the fiber, but i think thats what it was.

CMB

What you're feeding your cows should be based on the cows BCS, environment, hay quality, etc. Every cow needs a certain energy level each day. I would test your hay and base the decision on feeding them on what the cows needs are. We try to save every penny we can. We are feeding the cows this year, but that decision was made after evaluating the hay test. We are expecting a little bigger calves this year so we've not started feeding them yet. The day they calve we will start. We feed a very inexpensive ration of 2.5#'s corn with  2.5#'s corn gluten per day. Cost is about $.67 per day, per head.

CAB

Here is a link to a BCS chart. http://www.cowbcs.info/photogallery.html. I would prefer that our cows BCS be @ 6 right now, and we have some sixes and we have have some 4s. We are feeding our older cows 4.5 lbs/hd/day of a corn /34% protein mix and are aiming @ getting the cows 1 lb of protein by the inclusion rate. We are feeding coming 1st & 2nd calf heifers the same ration @ 6lbs/hd/day. Our hay quality for the older cows is poor & the hay quality for the heifers is good. We also let the older cows free choice themselves on Mix 30, 16% protein & 10% fat. All cattle are on free choice mineral & iodized salt & free choice of hay that I described above.
  The truth of the matter is that if your cows are in their 3rd trimester it is hard to get them to gain weight. It is better to evaluate your cows in the fall and try to get them to a BCS that you are confortable with and be able to back off during the last trimester. We may feed too much grain, but I would rather have some extra condition if a cow/heifer has troubles. They can use the cushion then. Depending on which part of the country that you are located in, it has been a severe winter so far and energy requirements have been unusually high.
  CMB, are you including the price of hay in your $.67? Corn @ $4.00 /56lbs/bushel x 2.5lbs/head=$.178/head/day & your gluten should be cheaper than corn by quite a bit.

CMB

I didn't figure the hay because the first 60 bales I sold payed rent, mowing, tedding, raking, bailing, fuel, maintence. The $.67 figure includes free choice mineral. Sorry, I left that out.

kfacres

depends on the time of year, and age of cow..  typically, we feed our cows very little during pregnacy...  We start feeding anywhere from 2-5 lbs a day about a month to two before calving- also depending on time of year and age.  The thing to remember is that any feed, is extra cost associated with raising cattle.... 

mlcattle

we feed a lil grain everyday to our cows, doesnt hurt, with six in the lot a 20 qt bucket isnt a lot. and all the hay they want.

aj

I you feed over 7# to a cow you may mess up the type of bugs in the rumen. Then you won't have the most effiencient mix of bugs for roughaages. Corn is fairly cheap. I would think 5# or so would be good for a cow.jmo