feeding cows

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cattle7

i have got 4 cows with calves on side. I was feeding a multipurpose feed from our feed store. However, its breaking my bank. I am feeding 6 calves on our show string at $12 a bag and if you put the cow/calf feed on their it adds up real fast.  I was wondering if anyone knew something cheaper to feed these cows.

KCF

Here are some possibilites, depending on how much protein content you are looking for in the feed. But a cheaper alternative around here is using ethanol by-products like corn gluten or a Dried Distilled grain. A cheap ration we use to feed out butcher calves  include corn cluten, corn, and liquid mollasses. It fiqures out to be a 12% ration and have good luck with it. We also use the same ration to supplement some cows with calves on there side and seems to work good for that to.

Gators Rule

Cattle7 said:
i have got 4 cows with calves on side. I was feeding a multipurpose feed from our feed store. However, its breaking my bank. I am feeding 6 calves on our show string at $12 a bag and if you put the cow/calf feed on their it adds up real fast.  I was wondering if anyone knew something cheaper to feed these cows.

I'm assuming your grass or grass hay won't carry the cow/calf pairs???