Feeding plan for light steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Mary

We just weighed in and tagged our 4H steers today and our one calf is only 508 lbs and needs to be over a 1000 in 191 days.  That is just to sell. I think this calf would finish nicely at 11-1200 lbs.  He had a rough start battling some pneumonia but is healthy and eating well now.  We feed a 16% protein calf ration that is medicated with Rumensin and add in some corn.  Should we consider giving him some implant of some sort or just push him along with the grain and see how he is doing?  I really need advice as this is only our second year of feeding steers and we've had an uphill battle so far. The last thing I want is for my daughter to not be able to show/sell him as he didn't make weight or isn't near finished come July.
Thanks so much.

BroncoFan

Its doable as long as the calf gains at least 3lbs a day including through the hot summer months.  Genetics will play a factor.  I know honor finisher works really well. 

blueshorthorn

If he's been sick and is on the mend, you'll likely see compensatory gain for the next 2-3 weeks. I'd get him up to 13 lbs of grain/day and a flake of good quality grass hay as quick as you can without scouring him, and you'll see him gain 4, 5, 6 pounds per day for those 2-3 weeks. Weigh him frequently and keep upping his feed as he goes.