Feeding Schedule

Help Support Steer Planet:

klintdog

We're getting ready to head to Denver and I wanted a second opinion on my feeding schedule for the next few days. We're trying to keep them on feed and water as best we can this year. The drive to Denver will be approx 12 hours.

Monday, January 5th:
Morning Feed - Normal with top dress of Appetite Express
Evening Feed - Normal

Tuesday, January 6th:
Morning Feed - Normal with top dress of Appetite Express
Evening Feed - Skip Feed, Cut-off Water, Hit with ProBios, free choice hay available

Wednesday, January 7th:
Morning Feed - Skip - On trailer at 4:00 AM
Evening Feed - Fed at approx 5PM when we arrive in Denver - 1/2 of Normal - Hit with ProBios after, Water and free choice hay available

Thursday, January 8th:
Morning Feed - Back to Normal Feed, top dress with Appetite Express
Evening Feed - Normal, hit with ProBios if needed.

Thoughts? They are on a bagged texturized feed with approx 15% beet pulp.

simtal

why wouldn't you feed them or water them normal before the trip? I would feed them normal every time and just feed probios/app express when you get there.  I think not feeding them will cause more than good. 

yousesteers

personally the only thing I would change is feed them the night before you leave and give each one 2 sulfa boluses it will help with loose stool and effects form shipping but everybody has there own way

klintdog

The thought with not feeding or watering before a 12 hour trip is to keep the rumen from shutting down - basically the equivalent of a car sickness in a human.

red

for a one day show I feed about 1/2 the normal amount. didn't feed any one time & neither calf would eat at show. Looked terrible.

I guess when we travel I tend to give more hay than feed. Water about middle of day.

Red

simtal

klintdog said:
The thought with not feeding or watering before a 12 hour trip is to keep the rumen from shutting down - basically the equivalent of a car sickness in a human.

Since cattle live and die by routine, I would think that feeding the same amount every day would keep them on feed better than pulling feed.  Not sure what you mean by preventing the rumen from shutting down? 

LazyGLowlines

we're going to Denver too, and it'll take us a little over 2 days to get there. We've been adivsed to stop feeding grain the night before, then start back up once we get there.  they won't be able to start up with the same amount of grain they're eating right now, of course (we give them free choice).  that should prevent the runny poo in the trailer, which makes a big mess everywhere (trailer, cattle, etc.).  which reminds me, what does everyone do about cleaning out the trailer once you get to Denver?  we can't clean it out at the loading areas...is there a place where we can take the trailer to clean it?  it's a 24 foot stock trailer...so 2/3's of it is full of poo once we arrive. we've just been bedding on top of it for the trip home, but cleaning it out would be sooooo much better.

Beach Limousin

While it depends on the calf, but my experience with traveling long distances it is better to feed them 1/2 feeding or none. Personally, I have not had much luck feeding full feeding the night before we leave. Prefer to 1/2 feeding, no feed the morning of travel but as much hay as they can fit in there mouth prior to and during the trip. Just my thoughts.

box6rranch

We've trailered our cows a lot and have never had a problem with car sickness. I'd feed normally, cows eat what they are comfortable eating. Start with an electrolyte additive a couple of days before and continue through stock show.
One thing we always do is bring a water filter, like the kind you use in a camper, and filter the water if we are anywhere but home. The cows are use to no added chemicals because we have well water. When it's filtered you can't smell the chlorine or whatever else is in it and they drink much better. We even use it when we are on the road and stop to water in the trailer. It definitely cuts down on loose stools too. The sulfa boluses are a good idea. That will help firm up but more than likely everything will still be a mess when you get here.
I'd try and find a semi truck car wash and spray out the trailer there. Just try and wash the "contents :O)" down the drains.
Good luck!!!!

TJ

You are doing the right thing by not feeding them right before you leave!  Also, be sure to limit the water a little bit the day before too.  However, be sure to feed them free choice grass hay when you start cutting back on the feed at home & while in the trailer.  Keep it in front of them the whole trip (all that they can eat) & if you can, stop & give them fresh hay about 1/2 way.  I'd not only skip feeding them the night before you leave,  I'd also give them about 1/2 a normal feeding the morning before you leave too.  I'd give them electrolytes starting a couple days before & a couple days while at the show.  Same with the probiotics. 

JMHO

Best wishes at Denver! 

Steergal

I agree we have never fed them right before we leave on a long trip.  I was also wondering, since this is a Denver related post, does anyone know of a trucker that would go from denver to Canada one way? I am getting desperate....