feeding show heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

linnettejane

i want them conditioned good...but not rolling fat, these are not market heifers....ill be showing them til they are two....i want to do this right, so does anyone have any suggestions on feed for them....cause in about a year and a half they are going to have to go out to pasture and start having babies and making me money...:)...also any suggestions on supplements for heifers....i have been giving them show bloom....

BCCC

well some feed companies have heifer devlopers but some dont. I just use a normal growers ration and they nromally do just ifne on it, but then some get to fat on it so I cut the feed by half and add a quarter beet pulp and a quarter of oats. Also give them free choice mineral and you shoudl be good to go......Also show bloom or calf mannais a good supplement

Angus Gal

We have had great success feeding about half of our show feed. Then replacing the other half with Bean Hulls and the new product called Winning Fill. Of course we still mix our hair stimulator and our sure champ made by vita ferm. The heifers going to the big shows (Jr. Nationals, Louisville, etc) are in great condition. And on a show day the heifers look great after you get a big drink in them and the bean hulls swell up.

red

we use a heifer developer & really watch their condition. I hate heifers that have a roll of fat on their tailhead or brisket.
Some people also cut the feed w/ corn cobs. I like to add beet plup also.

good luck, Red

vet tech

We use the Showmaster heifer Developer....I think that it works great.

simtal

we have had great success feeding heifers strictly beat pulp and rolled oats, with Kent protein supplement 34%