Feeding Show Steers?

Help Support Steer Planet:

woltemathangus

I was wondering what some of the people on here feed to their market animals to have them in show condition. A person was asking today on what they should feed. His dad feeds out steers but he said corn/oats/protein isnt getting them into competitive show condition and the kid is trying to get really serious into the show world. I dont feed out many show steers. I only feed show heifers usually and that comes out of a bag from a feed dealer.

twistedhshowstock

There are also several good finishers out there to feed steers that come in a bag from a dealer.  The protein requirements are about the same when growing one, but we add more fat to a steer's diet.  I like a mix of corn, oats, barley, cotton seed hull(for fill) and SBM(or whatever your protein source is) I like the mixed, complete feed to be about 12%Protein, 4-5% Fat, and high fiber content to keep em looking full.  Depending on the steer we often start ours and feed them all the way on a finisher. As they get bigger we may top dress their complete feed with more corn or barley, and we add a high fat supplement as well, right now we are using Power Fuel from Purina.  As you get down to the end and are really trying to lay finish down, if I have one that needs a little extra help I like either Golden Flow or Stabilized Rice Bran.  I really like the smoothness of the finish with Stabilized Rice Bran.