Feeding Syrup

Help Support Steer Planet:

angus88

Has anyone feed syrup to their cattle?  I had a guy who just starting feeding this to his cows, and they are in great shape.  He feeds ground CRP hay and then this syrup and it was the cost that intrigued me and the fact that his cows are in great shape for it being towards the end of winter.  He has also fed it to his bulls and heifers, and they are all looking good.  I am always looking at ways to try and keep body weight on my cows over the winter, and still save some money doing it (which, yes I know that those 2 statements do not usually go together).  I was just curious if anyone has ever used this and what your thoughts are of it.  Thanks!

hevmando

Have not done it personally but know of people who are doing different things with syrup.  Some are grinding cornstalks and spraying syrup on them as they re-pile the ground stocks.  Very bulky process.  Another has rigged up a sprayer to spray syrup on stalks he is running his cows on.  He sprays one round, waits for the cows to eat it bare, then sprays another round a few days later.  Others are feeding DDG's with stalks in the field.  Someone here is probably doing some of the above.

angus88

I was just curious, I realize that some of the plants, you can't get it from.  I also realize that you need to find a way to find a way to keep it from freezing; in that I mean because it is so thick.  But at around $48 a ton, I was just curious about it.  I hear it doesn't go bad either, but I also heard of someone mixing water in the one barrel that they feed the syrup out of, and ended up killing the ones they fed it too (No I don't know the whole story there).  I was also wondering if anyone who fed it, ever noticed any change in cows coming into heat and etc.  Just trying to learn as much as I can about it!  Thank you