Feedlot Performance Data

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

How many of you obtain performance data from cattle you send to the feedlots.  Prior to this year, we had always sold to places where we really weren't able to get this.  Today, I just got the group data for calves we sold last summer.  I guess I'm curious how our calves "did".  Some of the criteria I'm familiar with what is considered "good", but some I'm not as clear on.

75 hd (65 steers and 10 heifers).  Data is not differentiated b/t steers and heifers.

70.4% graded choice, the rest were select.

66.2% were YG 1 or 2.

Avg. Ribeye Area = 12.88

ADG = 2.73.  I know this one is low, but these cattle were in SW Nebraska and were killed in mid-Feb.  I'm wondering if the harsh weather played a role here because we visited the cattle in Oct. and the gains then were up above 3.  In all, I think another 50 lbs on the cattle by this kill date would have made things look a lot better.

This is the first time I've gotten this kind of info and was just curious what the rest of you typically see on your cattle.  Gets the mind to working in lots of different directions.

red

Great information Chambero!
I keep records for our breeding stock, such as rate of gain & back fat when they've been ultrasound.
I'm sorry to say we don't keep that good of records on the feedlot cattle. I'm sure we can figure up a rate of gain on the group. The other data you priovided was very interesting. I imagine a lot of us would be surprised if we actually knew what our cattle graded out as & what the measurements really were.
Thanks for sharing this!

Red

genes

It really is interesting info to have isn't it?  I think if more people had it, and we as cow calf breeders could get premiums for what happens right to the end, it could certainly affect our goals.

ELBEE

Pretty respectable numbers, nothing to be ashamed of. Have you had a chance to pencil out your profit? Thats the only number that really maters.

knabe

hey chambero, what was the adg of the other groups within the same environment?  does the feeder publish any data on other owner cattle so you can compare within the same environment?

also, for the home feeders, can anyone recommend a walkthrough type scale that doesn't cost over $1000?  the cattle ones are more expensive than the ones drag racers use to balance their cars for weight distribution.

i think the avg for the ribeyes is good.  i can remember all the ildeno crossbred steers in the 80's not having the greatest ribeyes.  i had a few that were under 14.  on particular one i thought would have a great one on a steer that was slaughtered at 1535 lbs only turned out to be 13.25.  another one about the same weight had a 13.50.  a squatey? one that looked more angus and weighed 1310 had a 13 inch ribeye..  all three graded choice, yg 1.

chambero

We sold the cattle at weaning.  I haven't heard back from the owners on profit yet. 

We did not get ADG data on peer groups from the same feedlot.

red

Chambero- I actually forwarded your information to several beef producers I know. Even sent it to hubby so he'd read it. I think it was great information & really very enlightening!

Red

garybob

You are to be commended for taking the initiative to use the data to influence your future decisions.