Feet Problems!

Help Support Steer Planet:

KYsteer

I am not sure if anyone has posted this lately.  I have started to see a little bit of what I believe is Hoof Rot in some of my cows.  There will be a noticeable limp and swelling around the pastern and in between the hooves.  My treatment for them has been hoof rot treatment in the bottle applied directly in between the hooves after a thorough cleaning.  Then I give them LA-200 or any kind of long lasting tetracycline.  Does anyone have any other treatments or ideas of how to prevent this.  Seems to coincide with the weather here.  If it is really dry or wet for a long period of time I see an increase in it.  Thanks for your replies.

kanshow

We use high level iodized salt/mineral when the weather gets wet.  You might have to talk to your vet and get some ingestable iodine to add to the mineral to get to a high enough level to treat/prevent. 

Get them on to dryer ground if possible.    Our pasture grass isn't doing much right now but we've started moving some just to get them out of the muddy lots. 

BRdoc

Since I started using a good mineral WITH probiotics, my normal yearly foot rot problems are gone. Your suggested treatment is common and the way that I treated it in the past. But, since the mineral, I haven't had any foot rot in two years.

alwayssecond

My steer had hoof rot this spring too. We just trimmed his feet up and it seemed to help. We caught it early enough.

doubled

BRdoc said:
Since I started using a good mineral WITH probiotics, my normal yearly foot rot problems are gone. Your suggested treatment is common and the way that I treated it in the past. But, since the mineral, I haven't had any foot rot in two years.

What brand of mineral do you use???

Latest posts