Fetal sexing of calves. Have you had it done before?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ruebush Shorthorns

I just put in embryos yesterday and am debating on just preg checking them by the vet or getting the ET guys to come back and check the sex of the embryos.  Has anyone had this done and were the outcomes of the sexes the same as what you were told when they were checked.  I think it would be neat to know ahead of time and that it could produce a higher dollar if I decide to sell pregnancies that were sexed.  Any info on the cost diffrences and benefits of doing this would be appreciated.

OH Breeder

Ruebush Shorthorns said:
I just put in embryos yesterday and am debating on just preg checking them by the vet or getting the ET guys to come back and check the sex of the embryos.  Has anyone had this done and were the outcomes of the sexes the same as what you were told when they were checked.  I think it would be neat to know ahead of time and that it could produce a higher dollar if I decide to sell pregnancies that were sexed.  Any info on the cost diffrences and benefits of doing this would be appreciated.

Usually, in my experience, you sex embryos at the time of the flush. Once they are implanted you can ultra sound at 90 to 120 days for fetal sex. You can then sell the reciep if you determine the embryo's sex. I don't know of anyone that change the sex of an embryo once its implanted.

Edit
the vet that did mine said120 days max. He preferred later than earlier. 110 he said was ideal. Either way, I don't know of anyone that can change the sex of a fetus once it is implanted.

DL

You can sex the fetus by ultrasound between 60 and 90 days (ideal time) - some say 55 to 110 days. Fetal sexing can be very accurate depending on the skill of the person doing your ultrasound. The identifying structure is the genital tubercle (GT) that migrates after about day 55. In the male fetus it is near the umbilical cord in the female under the tail. It is basically seen as bright white bi-lobed structure (in a perfect world). To accurately sex the fetus you need good restraint and a cooperative cow and a cooperative fetus - ie you need to be able to visualize both the butt end and the belly - you can usually get a pretty good idea with either the butt end or the belly - especially if you see the GT, but if you don't see it it might be because it isn't there and it might be because you didn't see it! Once the fetus falls over the pelvis it is very difficult to impossible to sex them simply because you can't reach them.

Ultrasounding for pregnancy, age, and sex can be (in addition to fun) a good marketing and management tool.

DiamondS

We worked with Cross Country Genetics near Manhattan, KS and they sexed embryos at about 70 days.  DL is very accurate with his info.

DL

DiamondS said:
We worked with Cross Country Genetics near Manhattan, KS and they sexed embryos at about 70 days.  DL is very accurate with his info.

PS DL = dragon lady = her ;)

fluffer

We have sexed calves before.  The only time we had an "incorrect" sexing was when the ultrasound tec called a heifer calf and the cow ended up having twins and the heifer was underdeveloped and dead and the bull calf was OK.  Outside of that my experience has been 100% if done in the time window.

Fluffer

frostback

We have had our ET guy do it a few years in a row. He broke his arm last fall so we did not get it done for this years calves and I missed not know what we were getting. We aim for 60 to 90 days bred. I love knowing what sex the calf will be. He has only been wrong once that I remember and of coarse it was my sons cow. He wanted a girl and got a boy. Also there is no question on wether or not it is a AI calf or next heat bull bred. Ours can measure the head and tell how many days old the calf is. We have done a lot that way and have never been off on that. He tells me what he says they are and then I will tell him when they were bred and they are always the same or a day or two off. Frostie

DiamondS

DL I am SOOOOOOOO sorry!!  Hope you can forgive me.  I too am a she, but have been mistaken as well!!!

Walker

We had ours sexed the last time we flushed a cow.  We were supposed to get 4 Bulls and 2 Heifers, however we got a good suprise when they hit the ground as 3 Bulls and 3 Heifers.  It is a really good idea to have them sexed if you are going to sell a pregnant recip, as it can really add value to the sale if the customer wants something specific.

Ruebush Shorthorns

Thanks for the info everyone.  I am pretty sure I am going to get this done this year.  We had 5 heifers Ai'd on June 5th and Embryos put in on June 17th.  I will try and find a happy medium day between the two groups of heifers and recips and get them all done at once.  Does anyone know how much it costs different thaan just a normal preg check?  I think it is about $5 here for a preg check.

DL

DiamondS said:
DL I am SOOOOOOOO sorry!!  Hope you can forgive me.  I too am a she, but have been mistaken as well!!!

No problem - haven't been around much, you had no reason to know ;)